ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Gaussmeter

:
2/11/2006 6:08 AM
Dave Stephens Re: Gaussmeter
I've read on Harmony some guys swapping out PAF magnets in new pickups and claiming great results. Well isn't the "filler" IRON, iron is in that stuff isn't it? Its the unmentioned part of the formula and why that stuff rusts right?  

It can't just be the magnets, its the wire and particulcarly the wire insulation thickness. And how it was wound and how it has aged if there's any truth to that pickup myth. I love talking about PAFs, so simple a pickup, so mysterious.....

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

2/11/2006 9:53 AM
Jon

Gibson used the same magnet for P-90's as well. Most of the spare old 50's magnets came out of ruined pickups. One destroyed P-90 is two humbucker magnets. I have to agree that it could be willingness to hear what you want to hear. I know it would be hard for me to not hear some magic after dropping $10k on a pair of '59 double whites, or a couple of hundred on vintage magnets.

2/11/2006 12:48 PM
Jon

BTW, I have never heard that antiquities were handwound. What I understand is that Duncan has an original Gibson winder from the late 50's that he uses for them ( the humbuckers anyway).

2/15/2006 4:08 PM
Jim S.
Is $500.00 too much for one?

2/17/2006 7:31 AM
Spence

I just got one of these:  

http://www.carlsenmelton.com/gm200a/gm200a.htm  

I was concerned it might not be too clever and Dave Stephens was doubtful too. However, I can report back that it's an excellent piece of kit and very small for what it does. No probe required, nothing to break.

2/17/2006 7:41 AM
Jon

That's a cool looking little unit. When I start actually making money that is probably a good investment.

<<First Page<PrevPage 6 of 6