ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

User names and anonymity....

1/15/2006 3:23 AM
Dave Stephens User names and anonymity....
After what happened here to Ben I think it might be interesting to discuss the cause for posting anonymously or with user names. Because Ben uses his own name he was tracked here, and his "customers" trashed his reputation on other forums and tried here too. I know some of you don't use your real names and I am considering doing the same. Ben and I are real small potatoes in the pickup world, and a few bad posts on other forums by vindictive personality types can just about wipe out a person's business credability. Guys like Lollar, Fralin etc. who do a huge amount of business have enough of a reputation and presence that a few bad apples aren't going to have much effect on his business if they should be attacked that way, and its just a matter of doing business that one is going to run into these types of people. So I wonder what some of you think and feel free to use a phony name in response, but I am thinking very much of not using my name here as a means of protection, and a very bad experience I had on the tele forum (I was worried they were going to follow me over here and start spreading some lies that were being made up in order to bait me into a fight).

1/15/2006 3:46 AM
Jabs
Do as you feel is appropriate. We'll still recognize you, though. :)  

"Jabs"

1/15/2006 4:11 AM
Dave Stephens
I forgot to mention I will be posting with a French accent though.....oh, I guess thats a give away, err......

1/15/2006 4:20 AM
Jabeaux
Oui.

1/15/2006 10:10 AM
Spence
email

I'm not sure about that Dave. Some posts I have read here are utter fiction but they can seem convincing. If I read a post written by you for example, I know who you are and I can be certain that the information you're sharing is genuine.  
It's entirely possible to spread dis-information that sounds believable and the best way to do that is to start hiding behind pseudonyms. I have read a few on here that have set out to lead us astray and the authors have all hidden behind false names.  
I'd rather be who I am and take any hits on the chin. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I can defend my findings honestly.  
Those guys that tried to trash Ben's business would do that to anyone and are probably known for it everywhere. The real question is, how do they get to know about this forum? None of my customers know about. Also, I use my name here which is not part of my company name. If I used my company name I guess it would turn up on a Google search.

1/15/2006 3:50 PM
Dr. Strangelove
email

Since professional reputations are on the line, a change of venue may be worth considering. One alternative is a semi-private maillist where non-members can see the discussion but may not contribute.  

That seems extreme and unnecessary at the moment.  

Newform Research, a loudspeaker builder, had to take legal action to stop the online libel.  

Details here:  
<http://newformresearch.com/smear.htm>  

Unless the big guys (Duncan/Dimarzio/Fender/etc.) start playing hardball and astroturfing the forum with libel and disinformation, we probably don't have anything to worry about.  

-drh  
--

1/15/2006 5:48 PM
Gibson Guy
That is Very Good stuff. I'm glad to see it happen. A lot of people who do that kind of stuff should take note. The internet is not a hiding place, it is very easy to get an IP address and all the info on someone. I too with legitimate complaints have bad mouthed a business on the internet without thought about the trouble that could ensue. A complaint is a complaint but when you trash someones business it's a different story. Lible is a big deal. This article really makes me think about a lot of stuff differently. Thank you for the link.  
GG.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>