ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Surh's new noiseless single coil system

:
11/9/2005 12:08 AM
Dave Stephens Surh's new noiseless single coil system
I ran into this on the Tele forum, Suhr has a new guitar with a noiseless "system" for single coils. And guess what, remember Moocow's 50 turn large diameter coil? Well Suhr bought the rights to a Russian engineers' patent idea, using a dummy coil that is 200 ohms. I talked to Scott Henderson and he is endorsing the product and he is happy to be rid of his DiMarzios and Kinmans. They are going to work on an outboard flat thing that attaches to the back of your guitar, an idea I had when we were talking that dummy coil stuff on the thread. Maybe if some of you guys have the time you can find the links for us, I'm trying to find out if Scott knows the inventor's name or patent number so we can see how he did it.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

11/9/2005 7:50 AM
Mark Hammer
Should I assume this is an "improved" antenna for sucking in 60hz to be mixed anti-phase with the pickups?

11/9/2005 8:49 AM
Sheldon Dingwall

It could be Villex.

11/9/2005 11:38 AM
DoctorX
How I love a puzzle....  

There is nothing on the Suhr website that would leave any clues as to the inventor, however, Sheldon's suggestion did open up some very interesting possibilities:  

Here you go:  

6,897,369 "Sensor assembly for stringed musical instruments" Inventor: Jeffery J. Lace  

6,476,309 "Magnetic pick-up device for stringed musical instrument" Inventor: Giovanni Gaglio  

5,831,196 "Sensor assembly for stringed musical instruments" Inventor: Villen E. Khanagov  

5,767,431 "Sensor assembly for stringed musical instruments" Inventor: Villen E. Khanagov  

Villex is the trademarked name for Villen E. Khanagov, and the assignee's name on the last two patents is Actodyne General, Inc., in Huntington Beach, CA  

Thanks, Sheldon...you were right on target -- assuming Villex could be the "source" of this mystery noiseless system. If not, these patents are definitely worth looking at anyway.  

DoctorX

11/9/2005 2:06 PM
Dr. Strangelove

DoctorX wrote:[QUOTE]  
Villex is the trademarked name for Villen E. Khanagov, and the assignee's name on the last two patents is Actodyne General, Inc., in Huntington Beach, CA[/QUOTE]Actodyne General is the parent corp. of AGI-Lace, makers of Lace Sensors and other pickups.  

-drh

11/9/2005 6:22 PM
Dave Stephens
Yeah Scott doesn't know and today told me the coil is rectangular in a rout and goes around the pickups. Yes its an antenna for buzz, get yours today!

11/9/2005 6:54 PM
Dave Stephens
those patents are worth reading but don't see the one for this product......

Page 1 of 10 Next> Last Page>>