ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

I have an edition of a Japanese gui...

10/1/2005 5:06 AM
CraigJC
email
I have an edition of a Japanese gui...
I have an edition of a Japanese guitar magazine that shows various mini-humbuckers from different manufacturers. Enough is in English to figure out that one diagram they show for one era of Firebird pickups has 2 coils sideways with a magnet between them. I'll scan and post this if necessary, but I'm just wondering if this is a well-known fact or a farce. Very, very strange design if it's true.

10/1/2005 5:08 AM
CraigJC
email
Re: Strange Firebird Pickups?
My sincere apologies for the lack of subject. I shouldn't be doing this so early in the morning.

10/1/2005 5:19 AM
Dave Stephens
Yeah would love to see a scan of that. Doesn't surprise me though, if you get proficient in digging through the US patent website you'll find just about every idea anyone has ever thought of there. Alot of weird ideas but in the end only the simple designs that worked really well prevail, strats, teles, buckers, P90s etc. Sure scan it and put it up for us to look at. Dave

10/1/2005 2:08 PM
Jason Lollar
email

Thats a thunderbird- the bass pickup, not the guitar pickup.

10/1/2005 3:17 PM
CraigJC
email

I've put the scans in a spot on my site. They're labeled "Last Firebird and ES-325TD".  

http://www.guitartechcraig.com/specs/fb1.jpg  
http://www.guitartechcraig.com/specs/fb2.jpg  

Interesting magazine - I wish it were in English. They even show flux patterns for these pickups and show how phillips vs. slotted screw poles affect the flux patterns. And, they have nice, big pretty pictures of all the vintage guitars some of these Japanese guys have collected. So that's where they all went...  

CraigJC

10/2/2005 2:27 PM
CraigJC
email
Diagrams Online
Diagrams available for anyone interested (see previous post).

10/2/2005 5:25 PM
Jason Lollar
email

I have seen several pickups similar to that, Gibson had other humbuckers like that but I dont think I have run across one in a mini housing that i remember clearly but I have seen alot of old pickups. Seems like i may have seen an epi that was made like that in a mini, I cant recall for certain.  
Sideways coils go pretty far back, the epi new yorker had sideways single coils, the fender pro steel, gibson thunderbird humbucker, the gibson ripper bass humbucker there is at least one more gibson ones maybe two, I cant recall the model names.  

Funny looking huh?

Page 1 of 1