ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: How do I make My own HB covers?

:
6/25/2005 12:14 PM
Dr. Strangelove
Re: How do I make My own HB covers?
Joe Gwinn wrote:
quote:
"German silver is really a form of brass, one with high nickel content, so it's silver colored, not brass colored. It does not contain any silver, despite the name, is not expensive, and is easily worked."
Yeah. What he said.  

You can find sellers by searching on "german silver sheet" or "nickel silver sheet".  

This one has prices:  
<http://www.monsterslayer.com/miscpages/NickelS&W.htm>  

-drh  
--

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/27/2005 8:07 PM
Soapbarstrat

Nickel-silver will often have a slightly yellowish look to it, especially compared side to side with pure nickel (as in nickel plated).  

And, I'm wondering if the original poster is looking to make HB covers just like ones that can already be bought ? If so, fine, but I sure wish someone would make metal strat pickup covers and non-"dog ear" metal P90 covers. I can't be the only one who would buy them.

7/18/2005 2:42 PM
anonymous
not to start fire again but this is where the CNC comes to play again draw it layout machine and there ya go alumin strat covers

6/28/2005 7:45 PM
A nonymouse
Nickel silver is not so easy to draw. Harder than brass. What you want is a non-ferrous metal with the highest possible electrical resistivity. Non-ferrous so it does not change the magnetic fields. High resistivity to reduce eddy currents. Nickel silver does have one of the highest resistivities. A few stainless alloys are higher. Not as useful because they're ferrous. The pickup would have to be designed to accomodate that. Titanium is also higher. Too complicated. Tin is a good choice. As much as twice the resistivity of nickel silver and much higher than brass. Easy to plate. Easy to solder. Easy to draw. Inexpensive.

6/28/2005 11:12 PM
Andrew C

A nonymouse>  

Sounds interesting. Got a link to any resistivity specs on tin?  

Andrew C.

6/29/2005 2:47 AM
RobB MATERIALS SORTED BY NAME
This site has been mentioned before.  

http://www.eddy-current.com/condmat.htm

6/29/2005 1:53 PM
RedHouse Soapbarstrat, you have mail....
Soapbarstrat, you have mail.

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>