ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: design

6/8/2005 3:15 PM
Ian Anderson
email
Re: design
quote:
"widerange bucker has classic two long bobbins design with bar magnet? it has 3 screws on one obbin and 3 screws on second one opposite side, rihgt? "

nearly right, it has 6 screws on each bobbin but only three on each side are above the cover.  

They are generally around 10k which is a bit hot for the neck position imo though I'm not sure if that's why it sounds so dark.  

I'm going for an easy fix first - the change to a 500k volume pot from the stock 250k one made a noticeable improvement so doubling it again may just be the ticket.  

... Ian

6/8/2005 11:22 PM
Larry N
email

OK, now I see what is happening. The guitars with the Wide-range came with 1 meg pots. That will brighten it up.

6/8/2005 11:20 PM
Larry N
email

The old ones have 12 threaded pole-piece magnets out of an alloy known as "cunife", which can be threaded. The fact that they are the magnets makes the pickup pretty bright, normally. If the pickup is old or somehow got demagnetized, it could sound a bit darker.

6/9/2005 12:53 AM
Ian Anderson
email

If these pickups originally came with 1M volume pots, that would certainly describe why it sounds dark now - the reissue ones are rediculously dark, especially with the stock 250k pots.  

... Ian :)

6/9/2005 4:53 PM
JuJu
Removing the metal cover/shield is a fairly quick and easy (and reversable) way of brightning up a tele neck pickup. Worked for me!

6/9/2005 4:57 PM
JuJu And this guy too
http://data.over-blog.com/lib/1/9/8291/pics/knopfler%20devo.jpg

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2