ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

want to wind my first pickup - doable?

6/5/2005 10:53 AM
Ian Anderson
want to wind my first pickup - doable?
ok, here's the situation - the neck humbucker in my Tele is very bassy/muffled - tried a 500k volume pot, better but still not great, 1M 'might' be just the trick but it got me thinking I might have a bash at rewinding it. So....  

for a total pickup winding novice, has anyone got some stuff I might want to read or advice?  

I'll be keeping the humbucking nature intact but want a clear neck tone.  

Cheers... Ian :)

6/5/2005 12:05 PM
Jeff G.

Ian,  

HighOrder here. Haven't seen you at the Palace for awhile. Howz it going?  

Consider the number of turns of hair thin wire that make up a humbucker - generally 10,000 turns or better. To do this without mechanical assistance would be tediuous at best. Most wire manufacturers want you to purchase a minimum of 5 pounds of wire too, which is about 4.8 pounds more than you need for one pickup.  

If you really want to give it a shot, take a look at Steven Kersting's pages (S.K. Guitar Specialties). He's got some pictures of a single coil being wound with a drill press. You can use a drill or drill press, etc., to speed things along. You might try sourcing some 42 gauge wire off of eBay to get around the 5 pound spool thing. It's not rocket science, but it takes a bit of time to refine your techniques.  

If you get more serious about it and want to build a proper winder, then see if you can get a copy of Jason Lollar's book on building a pickup winder. SK has a nifty winder on his site built from a lathe, and there are a few sites on the net where you can find info. I spent a lot of time looking over Jason's book and info on the net before I designed/built my winder. I can show you what I use too. It's a pretty simple design.  

V/r  
Jeff  
http://www.highorderpickups.com

6/5/2005 2:53 PM
Ian Anderson

Hi Jeff, I'm usually around PP during the week - I got my old username back (Ian Anderson) instead of the EF86-FAN username I had to get when I lost all my login info.  

It's funny you should answer this question, I've been looking at your website and was considering some of your pickups.  

What I had in mind for my Tele was to get one of those wide-range Fender humbuckers off ebay for cheap and have a go at rewinding it but it might just be alot easier in the short term to get someone else (like you) to rewind it.  

Is this something you would be interested in doing? It's certainly something I want to try once day, but I have quite a few amp mods to do here and want to get some time to play around with my pedals and create something 'different'. I also have orders for the bass fuzz I'm playing around with but have not yet 100% finished.  

Shoot me an email and we'll talk about this a bit more.  

... Ian :)

6/5/2005 3:24 PM
Jason Lollar

Ian, personally I wouldnt try rewinding an original fender wide range if it was my first shot. the lead attachments are not your normal PAF type and are easily damaged destroying the bobbin at worse or shorting you coil out several times at best worse case scenario.

6/5/2005 4:57 PM
Ian Anderson

Jason, I'm planning on buying one of the reissue wide-range pickups on the cheap and rewinding that (or have someone else do it).  

The problem with these pickups is that they have four mounting screws and are larger than a typical humbucker so replacement units are non-existent.  

If I had more cash available I'd get a new scratchplate cut and just put a single coil in the neck position.  

I'm probably going to sell the vintage wide-range humbucker, wonder what it sounds like in the bridge position (?)  

... Ian :)

6/8/2005 1:18 AM
Larry N

I like those wide-range pickups. Get in touch. I like them in both positions. One thing I've done with Gibson-style neck humbuckers is flip the pickup around so the pole screws are closer to the bridge. It helps get rid of the mudiness. That wouldn't apply to wide-range pickups, though.

6/8/2005 2:55 AM
Lukas
Re: design
widerange bucker has classic two long bobbins design with bar magnet? it has 3 screws on one obbin and 3 screws on second one opposite side, rihgt?

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>