ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Handwound/Machine wound

:
5/12/2005 6:12 AM
billybob Re: Handwound/Machine wound
Bill Lawrence gets his pickups made in Korea, and resells them.  

How else do you think he gets those prices! And how else do you think a 70+ year old husband and wife team can still run the operation.  

Busted

5/12/2005 7:15 AM
Kevin

Well there's a libelous assertion if I've ever heard one.

5/12/2005 9:47 AM
Dr. Strangelove

quote:
"Bill Lawrence gets his pickups made in Korea, and resells them."
I wouldn't try to bank on that assertion if I were you.  

Bill got a settlement years ago that left him with essential machinery for pickup automated pickup manufacture.  

-drh  
--

5/12/2005 10:37 AM
Andrew C

<<  
I think you are making even more confusion for the general public re: bill lawrence pickups. I think it the other half of the former Bill Lawrence partnership that makes pickups in Japan. But LETS NOT GET INTO IT!!!!!!!!!!  

On thing we can agree on is that a great pickup designer, originally from Germany, can be contacted via www.billlawrence.com, and he definitely, unless unbelievable and overwhelming proof can be produced, winds his own coils in the USofA.>>>  

Main topic,  

Handwound sounds better, for sure, ummm, I think...er wait...anyone tried the Suhrs?  

Actually I know John comes to read the forum sometimes so if you are reading John - care to post on this topic? No need to give away the secret sauce but your general thoughts would be interesting  

Andrew C.

5/12/2005 7:07 PM
Dave Stephens
I don't doubt that automated pickups CAN be made that sound good and obviously Suhr has hit on a formula that works for his pickups. I don't know anything about those pickups, maybe check Harmony Central to see what players think.  

There can be a problem with some pickups trying to automate them I think. Humbuckers, no problem, you have perfect copies of each bobbin to work with that are mostly identical. Strat bobbins or Fender style stuff, even premade stuff is inconsistent. So sure you could program 100 patterns but what do you do when you get a bunch of bobbins that aren't perfect and your CNC pattern doesn't fit the distorted or changed bobbins? I guess you could set the program to start and stop each wind well inside the bobbin flanges. I dunno, I'd like to hear from someone who tries to do this in a completely automated way with fendery type winds. Its IS obvious there is a problem doing that as there are alot of dead 70s pickups from Fender that are dead because of bunched up strangled wire at the flanges. Maybe its why eventually Fender went to plastic bobbins later on.....

5/13/2005 6:25 PM
Guitarus Maximus
Something interesting I have noticed about these "handwound pattern" machine wound pickups is they are just as expensive as many of the handwound pickups. Seems like they should be cheaper considering once the machine is programmed all the operator needs to do is load the machine and press go. These machine wound pickups are also in most cases wound by low wage labor that probably knows nothing or could care less about guitars. So….why aren’t they cheaper?

5/14/2005 4:51 AM
Greg Simon
Not all instances of the machine wound/scatter wound pickups are wound overseas by cheap labor. A lot of boutique winders have graduated to using machines due to demand. While it IS machine wound, they know their stuff enough to still make a good sounding pickup. I personally think that a good pickup winder person can wind a better coil completely by hand, but it is more hit or miss that way too.  
Greg

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 4 Next> Last Page>>