ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: tieh final word....Macs

4/18/2005 1:09 AM
Dave Re: tieh final word....Macs
That's not been my experience here in the UK, we work with Macs and PCs interchangeably without any problems , as do the design companies we liaise with.  

This is starting to sound like a repetition of the .NET / Java argument (.NET rules! No, Java Rules!). I've watched grown men squabble over this pointless and unwinnable debate for hours.  

It's obvious that people are getting annoyed with this thread now so I'll say no more - I was just putting my 2cents worth in about the Mac PC debate since YOU have all been discussing it for days already, and somehow the fact that I put one comment in seems to have started some kind of argument - oh well, such is life.  

Back to pickups as you say Dave.  

Regards,  

Dave

4/23/2005 2:15 PM
Spence
email
Re: Weird customer problem need help
Dave, I had a problem with this the other day. I had been demoing some A3 pickups and had kept them quite low down on the scratchplate . Positions 1,3 and 5 were fine and 2 and 4 were real quiet in comparison. I had set the pickups to get what I felt was the best in-between sound and didn't realize something was up until I switched over to position 3. When I brought the pickups up much higher, this problem dissappeared. I could imagine that pickups installed low in a scratchplate with no tweaking would maybe have a not too nice in-between sound as your customer reported.

4/23/2005 6:55 PM
Dave Stephens
Actually what my customer eventually told me was his idiot luthier set the pickups really high in the pickguard, so the magnets were messing up the string vibration and also causing the in-between position to sound horrible because of stratitis and being unbalanced. He lowered the pickups and played with each height until the inbetween quack hit a good level. Simple solution, dumb luthier.....

4/24/2005 2:35 AM
Spence
email

Glad it got sorted. That's just the kind of nonsense you don't need.  
Do you put any sort of literature in with your packaging? I find it saves a lot of problems if you write instructions and provide schematics.

4/24/2005 6:15 AM
Dave Stephens
No I don't maybe I should put some basic no brainer instructions for installation and setup....no need for wiring diagrams, black is ground, white is hot, most of them are just replacing pickups so just copy whats in the guitar......

4/24/2005 9:33 AM
Spence
email

I remember the days when I was too scared to mess with my guitar electrics. It can be confusing to those not accustomed especially if the color of the wires don't match up. I make a note in my schematics that "if in doubt , get a guitar tech to do the job for you". After your experience Dave, I'm going to have to change that to " a qualified guitar tech". !

4/24/2005 6:17 PM
Dave Stephens
Nah you don't need a "qualified" tech to install or adjust pickups, just your ear. There are 3 good books out there, The Guitar Player's Repair Guide, another book by same author of similar name and Guitar Electronics for Musicians. All easy to understand. There's nothing in them about output loss in the 2 and 4 positiions though, so you now know something new....

<<First Page<Prev Page 8 of 8