ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Weird customer problem need help

4/8/2005 2:37 PM
Greg Simon Re: Weird customer problem need help
Dave, does it sound like the pickups are out of phase like if the magnets are reversed or the wiring is reversed? Try disconnecting the wires on the middle pickup and reverse them and see if the volume is still messed up and really low? I had this happen on the Harmony pickups TVJones rewound for me several years back and reversing the wire connection on one pickup fixed it.  
Greg

4/8/2005 6:43 PM
Dave Stephens
Yes these are RWRP, I'll check the phasing with an analog ohmeter, but they should be correctly phase, correctly wound and opposed magnets. I'm thinking that since the magnets are so strong the increased output is doing too good a job at cancellation. I'll check this later and let you all know whats going on....

4/8/2005 7:43 PM
Dave Stephens Hey Joe
Joe: are you saying that its natural for output level to drop when two strat pickups are in humbucking mode with eachother? This sounds right actually. I've lowred the pickups in my guitar they were to close anyway, these strong magnets do stratitis real well when too close, and the volume drop between the two pickups is more in balance wihen just one coil is selected. Man, you know I think this humbucking idea in strats is wussssssy. I'm going to wire these non humbucking when I get a chance, I bet it wil sound better in 2 adn 4 positions. Back to work......aaaaaaaarrrrghhhhh!

4/8/2005 8:18 PM
Dwight Listmayer Re: the customer's Strat ...
Dave, does the customer and his pickup installer take into account that the S1 switching in the 50th Anniversary does some pretty weird things, and might be confounding the issue.  

"They" claim it can run a pickup in parallel with itself. WHAT? That must refer to the original "Noiseless" units which are like stacks, but not quite. I don't have the answer, but I suspect that switch is complicating matters for them, unless they got rid of it already. And there's a so-called special crap in there, let me check spelling ... oops that's cap, but I don't know what type.  

Also, you say that your trusty Squier was exhibiting similar wussy symptoms, but then ... not quite as noticeable? Well, I dunno, your pre-assembled bobbins are okay, are they? The magnets are all reversed as they should be in the middle pickup? Are they bevelled on top so there's absolutely no doubt about any being upside down? North poles are up, I think - you've checked it (I use a compass), have you?  

Keep your info coming, it's good, though I'm sorry for your problems. But I would persuade the customer to change the S1 if he hasn't done so before your pups were installed.  

Really, Strats aren't altogether terrible in that 2 & 4 humbucking mode. I'm sure you can alter your pickups to perform better than "Noiseless". Good luck. Strat man Dwight

4/9/2005 1:33 AM
Dave Stephens
DWIGHT YOU IS DA MAN!!!!! Crap I didn't realize it was THAT guitar. I'll check out the wiring and specs on Fender's site, I bet this is the problem. Of course going from humbucking strat pickups to single coils you would notice a slight drop in 2 and 4 positions. Damn, his luthier charged him $60 to install the pickups and didn't bother to check for correct pots and specs for tone cap etc. I sure hope this is why this isn't working for him. I have another customer with one of those guitars coming up so don't want to run into this again........I'll let ya know what happens......Dave

4/9/2005 1:40 AM
Dave Stephens
Oh fluck, his guitar had '54 single coils in it......more later

4/9/2005 6:34 AM
Joe Gwinn
email
Re: Hey Joe
On 4/9/2005 1:43 AM, Dave Stephens said:  
quote:
"Joe: are you saying that its natural for output level to drop when two strat pickups are in humbucking mode with each other? This sounds right actually. I've lowered the pickups in my guitar - they were too close anyway, these strong magnets do stratitis real well when too close, and the volume drop between the two pickups is more in balance when just one coil is selected."
Yes, if they are phased that way. I gather that some are, and some are not; the sound is different.  

An easy way to detect phasing and phasing conflict is to use a sensitive meter (many people use an analog ohmmeter) and a piece of mild steel at least 1/16 inch thick. Put the steel on top of one pickup, so it sticks to the poles. While watching the meter, pull the steel away rapidly. Note the direction and magnitude of the meter deflection. Do the same for the other pickup. If the deflections are in the same direction, then the pickups are in phase. If opposite directions, then they are out of phase. If the magnitudes of the deflections are the same, they will cancel if connected in series.  

This test can be performed on an intact guitar, as the steel can be slid under the strings, and the pickguard switch can be used to route the signal to the output jack. Set volume to max. Tone setting doesn't matter, as the kick from removing the steel is at far too low a frequency for tone controls to have any effect.  

While in theory one can test this directly with two pieces of steel, or one large piece of steel, I suspect that it's too hard to pull the steels evenly enough by hand to yield reliable results.  

One practical complication is that the magnitude of string motion varies with position along the string, so unequal electrical response can be compensated by unequal mechanical motion of the string.  

quote:
"Man, you know I think this humbucking idea in strats is wussssssy. I'm going to wire these non humbucking when I get a chance, I bet it will sound better in the 2 and 4 positions. Back to work......aaaaaaaarrrrghhhhh!"
I have to ask. Is the wail due to the prospect of humbucking wusses, or only to the prospect of work....

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 8 Next> Last Page>>