ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: My Observations

:
3/25/2005 8:50 PM
Steve A.
Re: My Observations
Duck Man Strat said:  

Positions 2 & 4 still would not quack. But OH MY GOD, the middle pickup, position 3 quacked by itself! And it was one of the best, most rubbery and Stratty quacks I've heard in 35 years!  

Hmmm... I tried putting the SD DuckBucker in the middle position of my FrankenStrat and it quacked all by itself, and in every combination I tried it in.  

As for the Lace Sensors I would not expect them to quack much because they are a very unusual pickup. But it is very interesting that the middle pickup quacks all by itself...  

So I've said that RWRP's quack for me, and many writers have disagreed. Okay, I'm not pushing that even though my RWRP's in positions 2 & 4 are as ducky as it gets in my pond.  

No, the dispute was not that RWRP's don't quack, but that NWNP's can quack. The polarity and humcancelling issues seem to be quite independent from quack-itude. (Quack-osity?)  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I learn a lot more when I'm wrong than when I'm right! ;)

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/30/2005 11:41 AM
JM Re: To quack or not to quack??????????
Quack is actually a type of phasing, and can be caused by one or more pickups wired out of phase, a speaker wired out of phase, and then there's mechanical phasing. Mechanical phasing might be the cause of what Mr.Stephens was referring to but is also caused by the type of bridge that is used. It's also possible that the degree of magnetic pull may accentuate mechanical phasing but that's speculation and something I'm researching now. I'm sure that there are other types of phasing that would cause this phenomenon but those are the one's I know of.

6/18/2005 4:35 AM
Evan
As alot of guitars have HSH PUP configurations or variants what models have worked for you to get maxa-quack from one PUP alone? I noted three from the prior postings but any small guys offering such? A strat would look strange with just one or two pickups wouldn't it. Thanks.

<<First Page<PrevPage 5 of 5