ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: To quack or not to quack??????????

:
3/7/2005 10:01 AM
Jason Lollar
Re: To quack or not to quack??????????
Anyone else find that if you wind strat pickups too hot the dont quack as much as lower winds or is it just me?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/7/2005 10:15 AM
bd
Yes...yes ..yes!!!!!!!1
The hotter the pickup the less quack. I think that's part of the problem, I like hot pups. Since the neck pup is a rewound Duncan SSL-3 I am going to turn it around. It has no triangular tab on the bottom of the bobbin like a regular strat pup. The pup was rewound with 42 plain to about 9K, the middle pup is a stock SSL-6. I have a feeling turning it around will do the trick. I think it was wound different and I had to change the phase.

3/7/2005 11:54 AM
Spence
'Quack' is not a term I hear in the...
'Quack' is not a term I hear in the UK but I'm pretty sure what you're meaning. I find that lower powered pickups are better for this as previously mentioned though by using a weaker magnet some of this can be countered. Also, by altering the angles of opposing pickups can accentuate this effect. The most important thing is to set up the middle pickup right as it will effect both the bridge ( in position 2) and the neck ( position 4 ). I find with modern Strat neck profiles it's best not to use vintage staggers as you'll get flat spots in the sound so flat poles are the way to go.

3/7/2005 1:58 PM
Greg Simon Re:
The quack in positions 2 and 4 aren't exclusive to Strat pickups. I have a guitar I made with 3 Duncan full size humbuckers on it. It is wired up like a Strat, and it quacks a bit in 2. In 4, it quacks, but isn't as noticeable because the humbuckers don't have the brightness of single coils. A friend has a Tele thinline with a Tele bridge pickup in the bridge, and Strat pickups in the other positions. It is wired like a Strat and quacks pretty nicely. I think it has more to do with the wiring than the pickups used. Could it be that the pickups are just in parallel with each other? If you measure the resistance, it is lower in 2 and 4 than each pickup by themselves.  
Greg

5/25/2005 5:17 PM
Ben
Re: Yes...yes ..yes!!!!!!!1
Hi Jason, yes i agree, the hotter the pickup, the less quack, at leat for me anyway, i did do an expeirement a while back, i wound the bridge to like 7.4 or so, the neck at 6.8 and the middle a flat out 6K, and the quack was great, there was a small volume drop, but not enough to be annoying or even really notice to much. But hey, thats what we do right, play around and see what works. Take care Jason. Ben.

3/7/2005 2:23 PM
Mike Turk Re: To quack or not to quack??????????
Andrew:  
Are you suggesting that someone should listen to an unplugged instrument specifically with the switch in position 2 or 4 and then listen for the quack?  

Is this the Twilight Zone? :-)

3/7/2005 2:55 PM
Jabs
Jason: Yeah--that seems to have been the problem with the first set I rewound. I was chasing a bit of a wild goose, but eventually came around to that conclusion.

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 5 Next> Last Page>>