ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Strat-Style Design Opinion

10/27/2004 4:46 AM
Dave Stephens Re: Strat-Style Design Opinion
these swimming pool routs kind of turn your strat into a semi-acoustic guitar and it DOES change the tone. You are getting a sort of acoustic guitar sound because you have an almost sound hole cut out of the wood, so you get a bit more high end out of these things. Its not that hard to hear, some people like it and I personally don't. I used to colect Gibson Marauders and the ones with swimming pool routes sounded wimpy.  

Most of these guitars have the worst pickups so changing them out is a good idea. No one mentioned that the tremolo block, or sustain block in these and most Fenders anyway are pot metal. they add little sustain. The original strats had hard cold rolled steel full bodied sustain blocks under the bridge. The Squires have the worst sustain blocks. One reason old Strats are so desirable is because of those steel blocks, but few players know much about it...

10/27/2004 9:36 AM
Kevin
email

Joshua,  

Thanks for a direct answer to my question.  

Kevin

10/27/2004 4:20 PM
jason lollar
email

If its only about pickups the swimming pool route will take a microphonic pickup that works OK in a standard route and will often make it more microphonic. that extra little bit of room for the pickgaurd to flex can make a big difference.Been there.

10/27/2004 5:41 PM
Kevin
email

So if the pickups are properly potted, I should be OK then?  

Kevin

10/27/2004 8:56 PM
jason lollar
email

sure

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2