ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Guitar Question

:
10/20/2004 4:00 PM
Jeff G.
Guitar Question
I know at least a couple of folks here build guitars, and I'm looking for advice on how to balance an unbalanced guitar.  

I just dropped a humbucker that I built to fit into a P-90 route in a TV Yellow LP Jr. Doube Cut clone that has fantastic tone, but it's headstock heavy. When I strap it on and take my hands off of the guitar, the headstock end drops until the neck is just about level with the ground. I find this distracting when I play as I'm at once playing as well as trying to maintain the normal upward angle of the neck - at least what I think is normal.  

The strap button toward the neck is located on the end of the upper horn. I've seen a lot of guitars of this type with the button moved to the back of the body near the neck/body interface. Is this a fix for the problem or just some sort of preference? I really like this guitar and want to use it more often so any ideas before I start drilling on my own would be appreciated. Thanks.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/20/2004 4:58 PM
Glenn
Don't know if relocating the strap button cures the problem or not. I played an SG Std for a long time and don't recall it being top heavy. That's a thinner/lighter body than yours, and it did have the strap button where you say people move it to on the old Jr.  

Sometimes aftermarket tuning keys weigh enough to make it want to dip too.  

I think a Hofner Beatle bass was the worst I encountered.

10/20/2004 5:35 PM
Kyle Cavanaugh

I've heard of people putting some sort of metal in the electronics cavity to balance things out, but you'd had to insulate it so that you won't short out the electronics. I'd ground it somehow, too.

10/20/2004 5:46 PM
Jeff G.

I don't know how much the Gibies weigh, but this guitar is mahogany and pretty heavy. It has a wonderful woody tone and sustain unplugged, and it comes through well amplified. It came with Grover 18:1 tuners - nice hardware. I don't know if these are extra heavy or not?  

I don't want to relocate the button if it's not going to help - when I think about it, it doesn't seem like it would. Hmmmmmm ...

10/21/2004 11:07 AM
SK
Use an acoustic guitar strap; it attaches at the nut...Moving the button will help a bit; maybe enough, but I find it an awkward strap position for me. Don't know why...

10/22/2004 4:16 PM
Chris @ CMW amps

Hi Jeff  

Do as SK suggested or use a wider strap, that did work very good on a neck-heavy axe over here.  

Hope this helps/ keep on rockin' !  

Chris

10/23/2004 6:30 AM
Regis
I have a Gibson LP jr from the 80's, and I have the same problem, although it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would considering I am used to playing a Strat.  

When I got the guitar it had the strap button on the heel and didn't like it at all. The guitar was still top heavy, and tended to fall forward, although a beer belly like mine tends to counteract that.  
:-)  

I moved the strap button to the upper horn and I like it much better. It's still top heavy, but that's the nature of the design. You might change to lightweight Kluson tuners with plastic buttons but they wouldn't be as good and it wouldn't make much difference.  

Do you really want to start drilling holes in one of your fav guitars?

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>