ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Conservative College Students Allege Discrimination!

11/12/2005 7:20 PM
zippy Conservative College Students Allege Discrimination!
It is now being alleged that Conservative university students are routinely discriminated against by their liberal college professors and are routinely mistreated and unfairly graded as well. It's hell being a Conservative student these days because the academic system is totally against you if these charges are true.  

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/13149326.htm  

Bottom Line:  

WE NEED MORE LAWS TO PROTECT CONSERVATIVES FROM BEING MISTREATED BY LIBERALS!

11/13/2005 10:12 AM
sleepy And More: THOUGHT POLICE ON CAMPUS!
Now there are also allegations that "Thought Police" operate on our campuses to ensure that our children are properly brainwashed with liberal minded thinking.  

http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/news/story.aspx?cid=3592  

If these allegations are true, Universities are denying our children the right to hear and speak what they perceive to be the truth from their points of view. In other words, our Universities are denying many students their right to free speech.  

A very sinister state of affairs indeed.  

To quote from the article: "The irony is that American universities have become the new gulag where dissenters are granted no asylum."

11/14/2005 9:08 PM
Patrick Re: Conservative College Students Allege Discrimination!
It's true. And I didn't even read your article. My son currently attends a major university. I told him before he left that his values and beliefs would be challenged, and possibly ridiculed. He said the TA's are not as vehement in their views, but that profs, particularly those in the social sciences are spitting mad that republicans are in control, and make no secret of their hate for George Bush.  

And, I can attest to the last 20 years of my employment with a community college district. While I was not a academic, I had friends who were, some conservative, but most very liberal, and they are teaching kids. At the community college level, they tend to be more tolerant of opposing views in the classroom, but at the university level, it can be a real liability to let your conservative colors fly. Best to wait till grades are posted at the end of the semester if you want to tell the prof he's a lunatic commie :) As an employee, I never felt my job was threatened, but on more than one occassion I was told I shouldn't be so vocal about my political opinions.  

As for laws, we don't need any more. The old pie in the sky hippie profs are starting to retire and die off. Eventually more conservative thinking faculty will start filling the ranks. I don't think most universities will ever be dominated by conservative minded faculty, but I do believe you'll begin to see more of a balance, as it should be.

11/16/2005 11:56 AM
sleepy
That's a nice assessment but most Republicans are just a bunch of liberals these days. Most liberals love GW Bush. If your son is a GW supporter he will have no problem with censorship on campus.  

The real problem is that true conservatives who see through the liberalism of both the democratic and republican parties are not tolerated. Speak of the values esposed by Thomas Jefferson and you may stand to be thrown out of school.  

No, Bush supporters have nothing to fear because they are just a bunch of liberals who fit in with the immoral status quo. Those who have the most to fear are traditional conservatives who believe in the values and culture established by our founding fathers.  

Our morals and civilization are dying. It sounds like you are more part of the problem than the solution.

11/16/2005 1:39 PM
Pierre Debs
thomas jefferson is mostly chinese for the majority of conservative republicans.

11/16/2005 2:36 PM
Dave Rich
" I think, myself, that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious. I believe it might be much simplified to the relief of those who maintain it." --Thomas Jefferson to William Ludlow, 1824. ME 16:75  

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread." --Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821. ME 1:122  

"I own I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1787. (Forrest version) ME 6:391  

"If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy." --Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, 1802. ME 10:342  

"With all [our] blessings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and a prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow citizens--a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities." --Thomas Jefferson: 1st Inaugural, 1801. ME 3:320  

"I... place economy among the first and most important of republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." --Thomas Jefferson to William Plumer, 1816. ME 15:46  

"The greatest [calamity] which could befall [us would be] submission to a government of unlimited powers." --Thomas Jefferson: Declaration and Protest of Virginia, 1825. ME 17:445  

"What an augmentation of the field for jobbing, speculating, plundering, office-building and office-hunting would be produced by an assumption of all the State powers into the hands of the General Government!" --Thomas Jefferson to Gideon Granger, 1800. ME 10:168

11/16/2005 4:27 PM
sleepy
Certainly some great quotes from a founding father who knew the evils of government.  

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>