ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

If you could only have one...

10/28/2005 7:54 PM
xxx If you could only have one...
Fender Amp...  

Would you rather have a Tweed Bassman or a Blackface Twin?  

Help me decide.

10/28/2005 8:01 PM
Bob DeRosa
That's easy for me, I'll take the Tweed Bassman every time.  

The Twin is a great amp if you are looking for clean tone but it's so powerful you just can't crank it up. It also weighs a ton!  

I love the 4x10 configuration of the Bassman and 40 watts is a nice amount of power for a medium sized club. You can crank it up a little and get a great "edge of distortion" tone. They take pedals very well too.  

Hope it helps

10/29/2005 10:34 AM
Brad1
email

Tweed Bassman, definitely...if only one.  

Must be terrible to be faced with that excruciating dilemma:D  

Brad1

10/29/2005 10:39 AM
Steve A.
email

xxx asked the age-old question:  

Would you rather have a Tweed Bassman or a Blackface Twin?  

After weighing both options carefully I would rather have a Blackface Twin like Al Jolson or Larry Parks. Al Jolson was known for his vaudeville hits such as "Where Did Robinson Crusoe Go With Friday On Saturday Night?", "Who Paid The Rent For Mrs. Rip Van Winkle When Rip Van Winkle Went Away?", and "Who Played Poker With Pocohontas When John Smith Went Away?"  

I did go out with a Swede Bassman once, but that was all a misunderstanding!  

:D  

Steve Ahola

10/29/2005 10:47 AM
SpeedRacer
Tweed Bassman all the way.. unless Chris Isaak was hiring me.. then BF Twin. ;)  

4x10 is perhaps the best cabinet for guitar IMHO  

40W is perfect amount of wattage  

Tone is amazing.. great blend of Fender clean and Marshall-esque mean.  

You can jumper the channels and go crazy..  

if you really need rvb, a stand alone in front of a 4x10 bassman is heaven on earth and will make you forget all about combo amp reverb.  

Presence control!  

4x10 bassman weighs less and is cheaper to retube.

10/29/2005 11:18 AM
Steve A.
email
Apples and oranges...
Speed:  

A BF/SF Super has many of the good qualities you list for a tweed bassman- like a 4x10 cabinet being driven by 40 watts (not to forget the tube rectifier that you didn't mention), so I think it is harder to decide between those two. You get a thicker sound with the tweed bassman, and its cathode follower driven tone stack, but then again you get the BF clean and breakup with the Super Reverb (I don't think that the reverb itself in an issue unless you are playing at low volumes).  

Decisions, decisions!  

Steve Ahola

10/29/2005 5:27 PM
xxx
Who played a tweed bassman besides Bo diddly and Billy Haley? Anybody modern play one?  

Seems like I can't think of anybody from the 70's, 80's, 90's that used one. Where as blackface amps were used by everybody.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>