ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Props to John Mayer

5/8/2005 9:09 PM
Mark Hammer Props to John Mayer
Caught John Mayer on Austin City Limits the other night. I was curious because of an interview he did in Guitar Player last year. Though the room he was playing to had a surfeit of estrogen, and the guy is often the aural equivalent of a chick flick, the man can really and truly play. He brought Double Trouble on to back him up for a number or two, with Buddy Guy guesting, and Mayer more than held his own on Strat, squeezing out a great many neck-shaking SRV-isms with ease and taste. I was impressed. Nice when folks surprise you like that.

5/9/2005 1:19 AM
Steve A.
email

Mark:  

John Mayer was including bonus discs with his first cd that had his covers of "Lenny" (by SRV) and "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi) featuring some very incredible guitar work.  

On many of the on-line forums John Mayer is considered to be the nearest thing to SRV...  

Guitar heroes are a dime a dozen so Mayer decided to make his mark as a singer/songwriter, somewhat along the lines of Dave Matthews.  

Steve Ahola

5/10/2005 6:18 PM
jaysg
quote:
"Guitar heroes are a dime a dozen so Mayer decided to make his mark as a singer/songwriter, somewhat along the lines of Dave Matthews."
That's where the money is...IP. After I decided to do that exact same thing...well somehow it never really panned out. I need that Talent knob from Ebay....

5/10/2005 11:15 PM
Steve A.
email
Here's his cover of The Wind Cries Mary
    The recording of "Lenny" off the radio didn't turn out very well but here is the Jimi Hendrix cover:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/mp3/john_mayer-the_wind_cries_mary.mp3  

(right click on link and save it to disk)  

I don't recall there being a single guitar solo on his first album- "Room for Squares"... just well-written songs, arranged well, sung with his phlegmatic voice. (Actually the guitar parts show a lot of talent... they just aren't "solos".)  

Steve Ahola

5/24/2005 12:18 AM
Steve A.
email
Here's his cover of Lenny, too!
    Well, I tracked down the single which contained both of the bonus tracks so here it is:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/mp3/john_mayer-lenny_&_the_wind_cries_mary.mp3  

(right click on link and save it to disk)  

I deleted the earlier upload of "The Wind Cries Mary".  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I just renamed all of the songs in my MP3 "ripper" folder, adding in the artist's name:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/mp3/

5/11/2005 11:20 AM
Mark Lavelle
email
Re: Props to John Mayer
quote:
"... so Mayer decided to make his mark as a singer/songwriter ..."
So has his songwriting improved since "Room For Squares"? That album didn't impress me at all...

5/11/2005 7:38 PM
DanJ
email

Mark,  

I wasn't really impressed with either of his albums, but after seeing the Austin City Limits show, he made a fan out of me. I also saw him jamming with one of the country pickers (Brad Paisley I think) and was once again blown away. If you get a chance to see either of the live shows, check 'em out.

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>