ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Ampwares tube amplifier parts

:
2/1/2005 9:53 PM
G
Ampwares tube amplifier parts
Hey everybody! I hope someone out there can help me out. I ordered parts to fix a tube amp from a place called "Ampwares", but they haven't sent the parts and they don't respond to telephone or e-mail. Does anyone know about these guys; are they an internet rip-off, or do they really sell parts????? Any help with this really appreciated. Thanks.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

2/2/2005 9:45 PM
Steve A.

G:  

I've never ordered anything from Mark Ware (of Ampwares and FFG fame) but I've seen posts like yours every few months here. Mark has a full-time "day" job so Ampwares and FFG are more of a hobby than a regular business. AFAIK everybody has eventually received what they ordered from Mark or got their money back. (If there are exceptions to that please post them here!)  

The Fender Field Guide has been a real boon to the music community, and Ampwares helps to pay the bills so we usually give Mark some slack on this issue...  

--Good luck!  

Steve Ahola

2/2/2005 10:39 PM
G

Good news; I got my parts today. Its nice to know that Ampawares is a "legitimate" business.  

As far as cutting Ampwares some slack, I have to differ on this point.  

I have no problem with someone running a business "on the side". I also appreciate that the Fender Field Guide is a wonderful thing. However, Mr. Ware presents Ampwares as a business that provides parts, but he does not at any time inform the customer that he will take WEEKS to ship the parts. A paying customer has the right to know, in advance, that there will be significant delays so that he can decide for him/herself whether to spend his or her time and money dealing with the man. Furthermore, to refuse any communication with the paying customer is just bizarre. I sat on all my guitar amps out of service for three weeks with NO IDEA whatsoever if I would ever receive the parts.  

The empathy you have expressed toward Mr.Ware in your post shows that you have a kind and forgiving spirit, Mr. Aloha. However, someone that treats others as poorly as Mr. Ware does, apparently on a regular basis, may not deserve the respect you show him.  

In any case, thank you for your reply, Steve. In the scheme of world events my guitar amps are obviously of little importance, but in my personal life they are big, and your kind wishes are appreciated.  

Thank you,  

G

2/3/2005 8:13 AM
regis

I have to agree with G.  

I ordered from Mark twice, and both times it took weeks, emails, blah, blah. He makes no reference on his site that it is a side deal, and I think he blatantly lied to me when I finally got him on the phone to ask where was my stuff.  

Sure the FAFG is a great resource, but not the only one on the net for schematics. Also there are many resources for parts that are reliable on the net, for instance Doug Hoffman. Whenever you order from him, it arrives 10 minutes before you press the enter key. With customer service like that, why bother with Ampwares?  

Sorry to disagree with you, Steve.  

regis

2/3/2005 11:37 PM
Steve A.

regis said:  

I ordered from Mark twice, and both times it took weeks...  

Twice? The old saying... "Fool me once- shame on you; fool me twice- shame on me!" :(  

G. wanted to know if Ampwares was an internet rip-off, and as far as I know that is not the case. His customer service is pretty lame and if it wasn't for FFG his reputation on the internet would be as bad as D.T.'s... ;)  

Mark is a hobbyist but as you pointed out there are plenty of professionals out there like Doug Hoffman, Antique Electronic Supply and Triode Electronics. Someday the pros might all be gone and it will be the hobbyists who are left to help us get parts for our tube amps... :(  

Sure the FFG is a great resource, but not the only one on the net for schematics.  

The schematics for the older Fender amps are easy enough to find but I like all of the other information about these amps on the FFG site along with the way that they are presented.  

Sorry to disagree with you, Steve.  

I think that we both agree not to do any business with Ampwares... :( It would be a good idea to check up on anyone that you plan on doing business with, and a quick check of Google groups searching for "ampwares" reveals many complaints:  

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=ampwares&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-36,GGLD:en&sa=N&tab=wg  

Thanks for your post... I don't want to be the one to put down a fellow amp fanatic! ;)  

Steve Ahola

2/4/2005 10:50 AM
bob p
quote:
"Doug Hoffman. Whenever you order from him, it arrives 10 minutes before you press the enter key."

DAMMIT! I'm still still waiting for the arrival of that stuff I haven't ordered yet!!! :(

2/4/2005 12:47 PM
G

Hey bob.  
Read the posts from people who have dealt with Ampwares. HE DOESN'T ALLOW ANY COMMUNICATION AFTER HE TAKES THE MONEY! I didn't post with any of the motives you suggest I have. I was completely unable to make any contact with the business after trying every possible method for three weeks. Yes, it was only a day later that the parts arrived, but at the time I posted I had absolutely no idea if the business even existed, or if it was a complete internet fraud / scam. Again, HE DOESN'T ALLOW ANY COMMUNICATION AFTER HE TAKES THE MONEY! (Are you hearing this bob?) When I posted I was honestly looking for help/info from a community that might know what the "F" was going on. Before you make a lot of attacks on my motives and behavior, maybe try to understand what was actually happening.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>