ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

laid off again, second time in 14 months

10/12/2004 9:25 AM
giustd laid off again, second time in 14 months
yup, got the boot this morning again. I kinda lost my cool a little, but fuggem, what do they expect? I found it harder to swallow this time, they shitcanned me last year, i came back last april, and the irony is they expressed concern about my willingness to stick with the job and not leave like teh guy before me. hah!  
I'm certain no middle management scum was effected cuz they never are for some reason.  
So back on the job hunt, electrical hw/sw/test engineering. maybe I should consider a career change?  
clown college? car wash attendant?  
this is a low day.

10/12/2004 9:54 AM
Mark Lavelle
email

We usually have a few openings in Fremont, CA or Vancouver, WA:  
http://logitech.hire.com/joblist.html  

Let me know if you see anything interesting & I should be able to help you get your foot in the door (or at least guarantee that your resume gets read by the actual hiring manager).

10/13/2004 6:19 PM
Boy Howdy
Sell your amp. Sounded great.

10/13/2004 6:44 PM
Munk
giustd said, I'm certain no middle management scum was effected cuz they never are for some reason.  

Yeah, I agree with that too. Where I work it seems when big layoffs happen the middle management never seems to get the boot. Then you are stuck with too many chiefs and not enough Indian and TONS of work....  

Kinda sucks doesn't it. If it will make you feel a little better I'm sweating being outsourced any day now as upper management wants cheaper IT people and they are hiring contractors at a LOW bid. Job rehire wasn't on the requirements to pick up the existing employee's by the new contractor!  

I guess my next stop for a job may be a car wash attendant :(  

Bush is really putting people in the poor house and it seems people just don't get that???  

My question is....when there is no more middle class to foot the economy bill then who will pay for the economy??? Poor folks can't pay and the rich sure as hell will not!  

Munk

10/13/2004 10:52 PM
ChrisM
One of the reasons that companies are reluctant to lay off middle and upper management is the cost of recruitment for them. Hiring new engineers from college is cheap, just send some people from HR to college campuses for job fairs, and sit back and sort through a few hundred resumes. IT guys are in a similar spot right now. Middle managers are most often promoted from within, or brought in by headhunters. Headhunters want two months salary I beleive for a management position. That adds up. Then there is the additional moving costs, etc for the new manager. All those layers of management are deemed to have a certain level of knowledge and experience which is seen as quite valuable, whether I agree with that value is debatable.  

So no, I don't think it's right either, but it costs a lot to replace em, so the company would rather fire the people under them, and then find something to do with those guys until they need them again. Best plan? Maybe not, but it's a common one.  

If you have technical degree, and would consider a career change, there are a lot of firms who would pay you to go to law school and become a patent lawyer for them. It's boring as hell, but my friend who does it loves it because he works from his house, makes his own schedule, get's to travel on expense account a fair bit, and he's well paid. He's only been to the actual firm twice. He just mails them completed patent write-ups and they mail him a check. There are so few people applying to law school with technical degrees, in fact so few who have any hope of understanding anything remotely technical, and their is such a demand for them that patent lawyers are very much in demand, and should be for the forseeable future.  

And if you really don't want to be unemployed, you can try nursing school. The demand for nurses is enormous, and only going to grow as those baby boomers get fatter, older, more decrepit, and we keep finding more pills to keep them alive. I knew several girls in college who majored in it, and as a result they could get jobs wherever they wanted in the country at salaries much better than my friends with Biology and Chemistry degrees from MIT.

10/14/2004 6:18 AM
giustd
"One of the reasons that companies are reluctant to lay off middle and upper management is the cost of recruitment for them."  
and oddly enough the company just handed out profit sharing checks a few weeks ago and paid for busses and a couple of halls to stage a rahrah meeting, to unveil the new plan to gain market share. what did that cost?  

" All those layers of management are deemed to have a certain level of knowledge and experience which is seen as quite valuable"  
Layers upon layers. and are these managers effective? I don't know, but I do know the ones I had don't know how to talk to people. they talk AT people, and I always found I had to ask a lot of questions just to keep an exchange going. my former manager always seemed like he would rather be poking himself in the eye with a stick than talking to me.  

" then find something to do with those guys until they need them again."  
give em a broom and dustpan.  

," there are a lot of firms who would pay you to go to law school and become a patent lawyer for them. "  
Funny, my uncle suggested this before I got laid off, his son (whom he's obviously very proud of) is a patent lawyer and makes SILLY $$$$, he'll be a millionaire in a couple years if he isn't already.  
Four years of law school?? I don't know....  

"so few people applying to law school with technical degrees, in fact so few who have any hope of understanding anything remotely technical, and their is such a demand for them that patent lawyers are very much in demand, and should be for the forseeable future."  

something to consider Chris.  

"And if you really don't want to be unemployed, you can try nursing school."  
also a great suggestion but not for me, too much phlegm, shit, and blood. hey, didn't they put out a hit record in '72? ;)

10/14/2004 9:16 AM
steve
email

And if you really don't want to be unemployed, you can try nursing school. The demand for nurses is enormous, and only going to grow as those baby boomers get fatter, older, more decrepit, and we keep finding more pills to keep them alive. I knew several girls in college who majored in it, and as a result they could get jobs wherever they wanted in the country at salaries much better than my friends with Biology and Chemistry degrees from MIT.  

My wife sells advertising for a regional nursing newspaper. Nurses in the Denver area are routinely offered $10K signing bonuses, sometimes as much as $20K for specialties.  

The wait to get into nursing school is currently around a year.  

I'd do it, except that there is the issue of dealing with sh*t, p*ss, and blood on a regular basis :(  

Steve

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>