ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Looking into this type of work

:
1/3/2005 2:24 PM
Sean
Looking into this type of work
I was looking into this type of work. Whether its putting together amps for certain companies or designing and putting together guitars. I'm 17 and need to know what kind of college classes can help me on these subjects. I've been playing guitar for a little over 3 years now and I want to learn how amplifiers and guitars are made. Can someone help me?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

1/4/2005 1:20 PM
Mark Lavelle

quote:
"I was looking into this type of work. Whether its putting together amps for certain companies or designing and putting together guitars. I'm 17 and need to know what kind of college classes can help me on these subjects. I've been playing guitar for a little over 3 years now and I want to learn how amplifiers and guitars are made. Can someone help me?"
First, you need to realize that you're talking about areas where there just aren't a whole lot of jobs to go around, and I doubt anyone gets rich doing this stuff...  

If you're talking about designing amps, an Electrical Engineering degree (with an emphasis on analog electronics) will help, but you're also going to have to educate yourself. That means actually doing it.  

Start with fixing old gear that you find in garage sales or pawn shops, and you'll be surprised how little experience you need before feeling like you could build one from scratch (you may even be right! ;)). Learn how to search the web for the info you need, and check out the links you find, too. Try to get your hands on the books mentioned on the relevant sites, too. If your library doesn't have any of them, don't give up - most libraries can get you books from other libraries.  

If you want to build guitars the advice is about the same, there isn't much in the way of college courses that will help. There are luthiery schools & classes out there, though...

Page 1 of 1