ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Wiring help!!!!

11/28/2005 8:47 AM
dustie
email
Wiring help!!!!
I'm trying to do what should be a simple wiring project but am getting confused.  
It's 2- humbuckers with 4 wires plus ground and shield  
with a 3 way toggle and a volume pot.No tone control.  
I know to tie the balck and white wires together and what to do with the grounds and shields.I need some help with wiring the hot wires to the switch and output to make it work right.  
Any diagrams for this configuration?  
TIA

11/28/2005 5:53 PM
Luijo
email

Please...details on what type of switch.  
Check the Seymour Duncan site, lots of wiring options there.

11/29/2005 7:40 AM
dustie1
email

It's just a standard 3 way toggle with 3 lugs and a ground.Neck/both/bridge  
1 volume  
no tone  
2- DiMarzio 4 wire pickups plus shield  
I have the black and white wires tied together and the ground and shields grounded to the volume pot.

12/1/2005 3:30 PM
Luijo
email

I guess the Duncan site has everyting you need. Just keep in mind the color codes are different, but they work under the same logic.

12/4/2005 4:37 PM
Steve A.
email

It's just a standard 3 way toggle with 3 lugs and a ground.Neck/both/bridge  

I might be mistaken about this but I believe that the original Gibson 3 way switches would ground out the unneeded pickup (with no contact made in the center position). Cheaper replacement switches were wired up like a more common toggle switch, with continuity to both pickups in the center position. In any case, the switch you have could be tested with an DMM to determine what style it is.  

It does sound like you have the color codes correct (red is hot, green is ground, black and white are tied together and insulated):  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/misc/pu_mfg_specs-sm.pdf  

Steve Ahola

Page 1 of 1