ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Warmoth quality

11/20/2005 3:36 PM
floyd Warmoth quality
Hey all, I was just wondering if I am the  
only person who remembers the statement that  
warmoth used to have on their site about  
the construction of necks and bodies being  
within one one-thousandths of an inch tolerance?  

I am going to build a strat copy so emailed Wylie  
over at warmoth to ask if the frets were within  
the same tolerance as the neck and body and his answer was "where on our site do you see that  
statment?" I know my memory is not total recall  
but I do know that the only reason I contacted  
warmoth about building me a guitar is because  
of the statment I read (albeit a few years ago)  
about their tight tolerance and no dead spots  
on any part of the neck.  

I guess they took the statment off their site.  
Now the only question is why? I now wonder if  
it is because like many companies they have cut  
corners to bring up the black line.  

I am thinking what other maker has the same quality for less, I mean, I would hate to pay an extra $100.00 just to see a warmoth logo on the heel  
of a neck or body neck pocket.  

Oh, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this  
but there is no dedicated guitar catagory here,  
just a bunch of cool people who care about tone.  

Who yould you trust to build a neck and body  
at a fair price and top quality?

11/20/2005 11:13 PM
Mark Lavelle
email

I don't recall seeing that tolerance statement, but I was 100% satisfied with the neck & body I got from Warmoth 1.5 years ago. I went for the stainless steel frets and IMO the neck is perfect.

11/21/2005 10:27 AM
Steve A.
email

floyd:  

I think that Warmoth is just trying to cover their ass- in case someone with a lawyer decides to start sh*t.  

They have a good reputation but one story posted here turned me off to them: they do not guarantee that the neck and body you buy from them will sound good. I'm not sure if any of the companies do guarantee that- or offer any kind of exchange once you have assembled the guitar.  

In the case in point, for some reason the wood in the neck and the wood in the body just did not communicate well... nothing that you could really put your finger on but the sum of the parts was definitely not what was expected.  

When I look at an assembled guitar in a store that is one thing I look for- that the neck and body work well together to produce a good acoustic sound that has plenty of tone and sustain.  

If I was running Warmoth I would offer some sort of exchange if you weren't satisfied, and then sell the returned parts at a discount. Assuming that the neck or body wasn't actually defective in which case it should be discarded after a full refund.  

Posts here have mentioned another supplier of necks and bodies (why does that sound so morbid? ;) ) US [something] as I recall.  

Other than that one instance, I have heard only good things about Warmoth. To be fair, you always will be taking a chance when you assemble a guitar from parts- if a particular neck doesn't work well with a particular body, then you figure that you'll use it with a different body later.  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Your experience with their web site is one reason I like to capture a site as a PDF file- even if they edit their pages later I can check it against an earlier version. "Revisionist history" is too easy to do on a web site: you make the edits or corrections and can pretend that the mistakes never existed... ;)

11/21/2005 3:17 PM
Mark Lavelle
email

quote:
"If I was running Warmoth I would offer some sort of exchange if you weren't satisfied, and then sell the returned parts at a discount. Assuming that the neck or body wasn't actually defective in which case it should be discarded after a full refund."
The problem with that is the parts are sold unfinished. I don't see how they could possibly be expected to guarantee that they'll be 'compatible' even after finishing. And if they let you return finished stuff the odds of being able to re-sell it are drastically reduced.

11/21/2005 3:56 PM
Steve A.
email

Mark said:  

The problem with that is the parts are sold unfinished. I don't see how they could possibly be expected to guarantee that they'll be 'compatible' even after finishing. And if they let you return finished stuff the odds of being able to re-sell it are drastically reduced.  

I don't like to gamble... the idea of investing many dollars and hours in a project that may or may not turn out okay scares me. I realize that 90%+ of Warmoth's customers are very pleased with the results so I guess it isn't really an issue but what if I'm in the 1% that didn't turn out okay... :(  

If you were building more than one guitar you could probably swap out the necks to eliminate any compatibility problem (just the way the wood grain lines up, maybe).  

In some industries they will add a certain percentage to the retail price as "insurance" to cover any unreimbursed returns. You would not want a lot of people to take advantage of such a return policy but I wish it were there for the cases in which it would be justified.  

As I recall it was not just a minor incompatibility... the guitar assembled from a Warmoth body and neck was essentially unplayable because of some weird resonances.  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I'm not crazy about doing the finish on a body and neck so I might actually be interested in buying Warmoth parts that were already finished and returned by another customer.

11/23/2005 7:02 AM
MKB
email

A friend and I have been talking to Warmoth and using their parts for almost 15 years now. First, all the parts we have received have been very high quality and have worked well.  

But in talking with them they have said some worrisome things in helping with a purchase. They told us over the phone that you cannot tell the difference in tone between a vintage truss rod and their double expanding truss rod. Why do they offer both then? Also they do not offer any quartersawn bass necks as "they don't have any blanks large enough, and don't know when or if they will in the future". I get the impression that they just ship "parts" and don't really care very much about tone. Their stuff seems to be overpriced as well. Next time I buy parts I plan to try some alternate suppliers, there is one on ebay that ships every neck quartersawn (this is an expensive option from Warmoth).  

Warmoth used to mail a flyer with bargain parts that were returned or not accepted, these were great deals, sometimes 1\2 of their list price. They don't do the mailer anymore, and their bargain stuff on the website doesn't have much of a discount. :(

11/21/2005 6:42 PM
jaysg
http://www.usacustomguitars.com/ is your high quality alternative. They're not licensed for the headstocks, however. You have to do, or have someone do a little work if you want that look. I don't know about their general policies, however, dead spots are a chronic issue with all JBass, PBass necks and it's essentially Leo's fault. To let Leo off the hook, it's probably worse with round wound strings. Tommy told me that he will replace a bass neck with a dead spot and I've talked with a guy for whom he did that.  

If you get heavily into neck profiles, I believe that Warmoth has the digitization equipment used by the big MI's and Ernie Ball. I don't think USACG does. His necks are studied approximations of The SRV neck, etc.  

I remember the guy with the neck/body combo that died on him on the high E, irrc. Assuming good hard maple for the neck, it must have been the body that had weird resonances.

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>