ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Basic Guitar Setup Question

11/19/2005 10:15 AM
Mark Cassens
email
Basic Guitar Setup Question
I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place to post a question like this, but I don't know where else to ask this. I have a Jackson Soloist XL with a Floyd Rose Tremolo that's about 12 years old. I play from time to time, but have never been serious enough to probably learn all the things that I should know.  

Anyway, the guitar had sat unstrung for about 1 year or so. I recently restrung it and it isn't right. When I tune it, it pulls the bridge up and the action is all high. I know I'm not tuning it an octave too high, but I just can't seem to figure out what is wrong. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Again, I notice most threads are on more sophisticated, professional topics, but I'm a newbie trying to learn when it comes to this stuff.  

Thanks again.

11/19/2005 12:18 PM
mark h
email

Some basic checks to make:  
Are the springs attatched to the tremolo block?  
Is any part of the body or neck broken,loose,cracked or visibly out of whack?  
Is the bridge height all the way lowered, or can you achieve the action you want by lowering it.  
If you sight down the neck from the peg head, do you see a small amount of relief (concave curve)-this is normal - or perhaps there is a back -bow (convex curve) - truss rod needs to be loosened.  
Truss rod adjustment must be done very carefully and in very small increments and you should let a tech do it if you are uncertain  
If the above checks are all ok and if the bridge is at it's lower limit and the action is too high, the neck angle is probably wrong. Is there an adjustment for angle?  
Whatever you do to correct the problem, be careful and understand what you are changing and why and don't force anything.  
Kinda basic advice but I don't know how much experience you have. Hope I havn't insulted your intelligence. Good luck..M

11/19/2005 2:54 PM
Mark Lavelle
email

Mark's advice is good. You can get a little more detail on some of the concepts here: http://www.fender.com/support/setup/

11/19/2005 3:40 PM
Mark Cassens
email

Thanks for the advice. You certainly aren't insulting my intelligence as I basically have no idea what I'm doing.

11/19/2005 3:54 PM
Borsanova
What strings did you put on? If you previously had 9' strings and now have put 10' strings, it is normal that the bridge is pulled up.  
You can probabily correct this by opening the back cover of your guitar. There you 'll find 3 or 4 springs held on one side by the tremolo block and on the other side by a spring holder. It should be possible to tighten the springs by turning the two screws holding the spring holder.  
If that is not enough to solve your problem you might need to add another spring.

11/20/2005 2:10 AM
Rudy Fanucan
Wait a minute guys. Stringing up a guitar with a Floyd Rose should be done string for string. This is the problem. You've removed all the strings in one go and there's where your problem lies.  
Now, to sort it out, remove the trem spring cavity cover. Put a small block of wood down in the trem cavity so that it sits in a fixed position. Now the trem can't move. Now string the guitar up. Get your strings to settle by stretching them. Retune. Lock the locking nut. Remove block from trem cavity and retune with fine tuners.

Page 1 of 1