ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Floyd Rose Troubles...

:
7/27/2005 9:05 PM
Trick
Floyd Rose Troubles...
OK; ive been messing with my messed up floyd rose for about the past month now and cannot get it fixed; heres the problem.  

I own a Schaller Floyd Rose from around 1990 1991 it came with a used custom Charvel Gunslinger I got at guitar center; I dont know exactly what year it is. Anyways when I got it the floyd rose was perfect and ive been whammying like hell on this thing since October of 2004. well then comes June of 2005 and my guitar starts acting funny; its not staying in tune when I whammy. I tightened everything and retuned it and discovered that my G string was moving out of pitch if I pulled up on the whammy bar and brought it back to normal; it was raising pitch; and when id go down on the bar again it would lower in pitch. this was not good if I was doing alot of whammying. I changed the strings and tried to shave down my saddle blocks because they were worn out as well.  

Still messed up. I am tuning and stretching the strings correctly; and even after installing ALL NEW INSERT BLOCKS AND SCREWS; it is still messed up; I dont know what could possibly be wrong with it. I am out of luck now that ive tried to fix it about 5 different times to no avail. there isnt much of a guitar repair guy here unless I want to wait months to get my axe back.  

Am I out of options or has someone had the same problem. PLEASE HELP!!

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

7/27/2005 11:17 PM
Sweetfinger
Make sure the locking nut assembly is tight into the neck. If it is attached with two allen bolts from the back of the neck, see if they tighten any further. If it is screwed in from the front, check those. As the wood swells/shrinks over the years and as the whammy is used, it tends to work the nut loose just a tiny bit.  

The tighter you crunch down the locking blocks over the strings, the worse you will go out of tune. GENTLE!! When you crank down, you actually crush a little groove into the surface of the nut and block that will then allow the string to slip through no matter how hard you lock 'em. One of life's little ironies. How to tell if you are cranking too hard? If you've had to replace the three oxide bolts because they have been stripped out by the allen wrench, or forbid...stripped the threads....YOU ARE TWISTING TOO HARD!!  

A bit more info, although I don't think this is relevant to the problem you describe:  
Just as over-cranking will cause problems at the nut, over tightening the bridge locks will cause problems as well. The first thing that will happen, is you'll squish the end of the string flat from the pressure- which makes it break prematurely. Then you figure you need even more torque so you really give it a good turn and either permanently crush a groove into the inside of the saddle, pressure block, or both. This makes the string pop out no matter how hard you tighten. Now you're cranking so hard that you probably break the saddle in two. How to tell if you're over-tightening? Again, if you're stripping out allen screws, ease off Hercules! You will also be able to tell that you have used too much pressure when the pressure block will no longer drop right out of the saddle when you back out the allen bolt from the back. Over tightening actually bulges and distorts the little steel block and keeps it from sliding back and forth in the saddle. I've seen ones that had been cracked in half!  
The knife edges get dull with use. some are replaceable. The posts also get gouged up from use. Try and turn the posts a bit for the freshest face for the knife-edge to pivot on. Sometimes over the years the posts have crushed forward in the body. In severe cases, you'll have to have a plate installed to shore up the posts.  

The last problem area that I find with surprising regularity, is some part of the tremolo bridge assembly rubbing against the body inside the route, or rubbing against the edge of the pickguard.  

Good luck with the care and feeding of your Floyd Rose monster:D

7/28/2005 1:44 PM
Trick

OK; untightened my block screws and tightened them only until they were firm and holding; not too tight! took off the oxide screws at the neck and head postition and noticed that underneath the blocks there are grooves from wear; but it looks like its just the chrome finish rubbing off; but who knows I might need to replace this item; I also tightened the neck screws that are underneath the 3 oxide bolts. will try to tune stretch then lock the tuners and try tuning with the precision tuners and try again; I was tightening things too tough and now I realize thats bad for the floyd; I hope I dont need to replace the floyd because of my stupidity; I HATE THESE DAMN THINGS!!!! Thanks sweet!

7/28/2005 3:30 PM
Trick

well; I tired tightening everything to a decent maximum; and I tried tuning it perfectly stretched the strings; tuned it up again about 6 times in a row until they werent out of tune at all; locked the neck; fine tuned; then whammyed and the g string still goes down in pitch; I have no idea what the problem is. Please help.

7/29/2005 1:22 AM
Steve A.

Trick said:  

took off the oxide screws at the neck and head postition and noticed that underneath the blocks there are grooves from wear; but it looks like its just the chrome finish rubbing off; but who knows I might need to replace this item;  

I've had strings slip under these blocks. So what gauge is your G string? A higher gauge might slip less. Until you can replace the blocks on the locking nut you might try jamming a second guitar string under the block just to see if it keeps the G string from slipping.  

HTH  

Steve Ahola

7/29/2005 10:55 AM
Trick

Steve; Im playing with size 9 fender bullets; I dont know if it's the blocks or not; I tryed messing with the head tuners while the blocks were on yesterday and the guitar wasnt losing tune; but as soon as I have her tuned and locked up and I whammy; the g string goes flat. Im not sure if I should try replacing the oxide bolts and blocks or just get a new floyd rose and work on this sucker another time. This floyd rose is super old.  

Thanks

7/29/2005 4:09 PM
Joe
Get rid of that floyd copy and buy a real original floyd rose. I have had problems with the saddles slipping due to the pot metal these floyd copy bridge plates are made of.  
The real floyd rose is all steel constructed so they don't break down.  

I had a 1990 charvel with the charvel floyd with the shorter barrel screws and this finally gave out after lots of use. I replaced it all with a new original floyd and the guitr has played great ever since.  

Joe

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>