ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

?

10/20/2005 6:35 PM
justin
email
?
Hey, I'm looking to get a tube amp and I have a question. I've noticed that the less features on the amp, the better it sounds, to my ears. I'm looking for a thirty to forty watt tube amp with ONLY a volume knob. Maybe even fifteen to twenty five watts if the thing has an output for an extension cab. Does anyone know of a model with these features? If you could e-mail some suggestions, that would be great... thanks.

10/20/2005 10:47 PM
Chuck
email

The "18 watt" clone amps are about as close as anything to a one knob amp. They are also quite loud at 18 watts (or so). 1 volume and 1 tone control on many of them. Nothing else is needed from what I've read. Some builders sell them but I don't see them often.  

Then there is the Mission 5Y3 kit. Go to the 5Y3 forum and read a bit. People REALLY like thier 5Y3 amps. 1 volume for each channel and 1 tone control.

10/20/2005 10:48 PM
Chuck
email

OOPS...Brain fart. 5Y3 should read 5E3.

10/21/2005 3:11 PM
George
email

See the 5E3 forum for the thread on Mission Tweed Super. Yeah, it's got more than one knob but not by much! Sounds great. I've set mine up for variable power - various tubes (6V6, 6L6) and selectable PT voltage - to cover the range of 20-40W.  

g

Page 1 of 1