ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Best Vintage Amp for the Money?

:
2/22/2005 10:39 AM
S-FOIL
Best Vintage Amp for the Money?
I have a couple of old amps that I can't live without (62 Gibson Falcon, 70's Fender Silver Faced Bassman that I converted to a Gibson Goldtone style 10', 12" combo). I was lucky enough to purchase both of these for around $100.00 each.  

I would be interested to see what the opinions of others would be on quality vintage amps that are considered a good value for the money ($100.00-$400.00).  

I am a "working musician" so in addition to sound/tone (most important) I value reliability, sturdiness and ease travel for the riggers of gigging.  

www.S-FOIL.com

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

2/23/2005 7:56 PM
anonymutt
any amp by gibson.

2/23/2005 8:59 PM
Justin Thomas

Scored several nice old Ampegs for $100-$450 each...  
The smaller ones are still pretty cheap around my area. Forget the portaflexes though...Look for "broken" ones, too...Justin.

2/24/2005 1:37 PM
Darin

There are a lot of cool old tube amps that can be had for that range. Here's a short list  

SFTR (mostly the later ones with MVs)  
BF/SF Champs/Vibro Champs  
BF/SF Princeton  
Ampegs (reverb-o-rockets are very cool)  
Silvertone  
Gibson  
Supro/Valco  
etc.  

You can also build your own amps from old tube amps pulled from organs, stereos, etc.; or from kits. Stay away from PCB amps as they can be unreliable.

2/24/2005 7:34 PM
Don Symes

Don't forget BF/SF Supers, Concerts, Quads and (Dual) Showmans ... or the entire range of IIs (PR-II, Twin-II ...).

2/25/2005 6:18 AM
regis
Where can you get a BF Super for $400? or a Showman? I'll take two of each!!!

2/26/2005 4:21 PM
anonymous
i bought 2 that didnt work for 200 and some spare tubes, sold 1 in need of repair for 350 and fixed the other 1 and kept it.....lets see i traded a old crate solid state g 130 twin for a old fender quadreverb and ended up selling it for 300 bucks ...I bought a 60 tweed champ a few weeks ago for 125 bucks, needed a speaker and a cap job, its probly worth 3 times that ....they are out there, you just need to be patient, and keep some cash stashed for when you run up on them... a lot of people dont know anything about amps, and would just as soon sell them...than pay a shop to work on them

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>