ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Mesa tremoverb combo

:
1/9/2006 9:13 AM
Kevin
Mesa tremoverb combo
I have a tremoverb combo (2x12) and one of the speakers is bad. Both are 16ohm. Is it possible for me to just run one speaker and do I plug it into the 16 ohm jack as both speakers together are in the 8ohm jack. By running one speaker I am assuming that the wattage would be reduced, which is ok cause this thing is loud. Also would I be risking anything by doing this?  

Thanks  
kevin

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

1/14/2006 8:22 PM
Rick Erickson

Since nobody else jumped in here I guess I'll take a stab at it. If you plug your 16 ohm speaker into the 16 ohm jack then all of the amp's power will be delivered into this one speaker. If you plug into the 8 ohm tap you will still be delivering more than 1/2 of the amps available power into the 16 ohm speaker. So if your other speaker blew out because you over-powered it, the chances are very good that you will blow out the remaining one unless you turn down your volume. Speakers don't always blow out from over-power, sometimes they just break a connection in the voice coil or at the flex wires. Check for continuity where the flex-wires meet the speaker cone. If the voice coil reads good there you may be able to repair a broken flex-wire and be good to go.  

RE

Page 1 of 1