ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Marshall 4140 Club and Country

:
12/19/2005 4:34 PM
Matt
Marshall 4140 Club and Country
I just purchased a Marshall 4140 2x12 combo made in 1981... When I power on, the light comes on and I can hear a very quiet hum... but none of the preamp tubes light.. and when I switch on from standby nothing happens... So basically, as far as function: only the on light comes on.  
I've checked the fuses and they are fine... also, the tubes are new, and I've reseated each.  
Where should I go from here?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

12/19/2005 4:36 PM
Matt
Marshall 4140 Club and Country, ALSO
Also:  
I'd love it if anyone has a schematic for this amp.  
Thanks a lot.

12/19/2005 4:53 PM
Mark Black

Dr Tube has the schematic:  
http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm  

Search for "4140 & 4145 amp" on the page to take you to the right spot.

12/20/2005 12:41 PM
Mark Black

Check continuity (power off & at least 10 minutes for discharge) of the power supply transformer windings. You should get some kind of continuity across the ends and end to center of each of the 4 windings. Probably the primary and heater windings are most pertinent here given your symptoms  

A quick way to check the primary is across the power plug (not plugged into power of course) with the power switch on - you should get some fairly low ohms reading between the legs and infinite resistance from either leg to the ground pin.  

Heater winding can be checked by measuring across pin 9 and pins 4/5 of the preamp tube sockets, with all tubes removed. Reading should be very low ohms.  

It's a place to start...  

Good luck!

12/20/2005 3:03 PM
Matt

Thanks for the advice... I'll see what sort of reading I get and go from there.

Page 1 of 1