ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Hughes Kettner construction question

9/14/2005 1:56 PM
Patrick Hughes Kettner construction question
Just got an email from a guy I do occassional repairs for. He has a Hughes Kettner Triamp he wants me to look at. This is more of a hobby for me than a business, so I try and steer clear of PC construction. I've never been inside an HK. Can anyone tell me how they are built?

9/14/2005 1:34 PM
Don Symes
email

I had one for a while via eBay. UPS dropped the sucker during shipping and bashed in the bottom lip of the cab, which, in turn, knocked a resistor off the PCB.  

I thought construction quality was pretty good and the layout was a lot easier to deal with than, say, an MB MkIV, but I didn't even try to remove the board.  

In short - repairs, not a big deal. Mods - be very careful about how often you heat up any given trace.  
Th usual PCB cautions.  

Oh - and drop me an email - I have a schematic for that beast.

9/14/2005 4:15 PM
Patrick
Thanks Don. I hate dealing with PCBs, but I'll give it a look.

9/23/2005 4:32 AM
Rick Erickson
email

You might try to contact Hughes & Kettner about this amp, especially if you find the problem to be blown power tube cathode fuses. They changed the value of these from T-160mA to T-200mA or T-250mA. (Slo-Blo) I used the 250mA fuses in the one I had here. The factory tech had told me they would be acceptable and that was what I had available.  

RE

Page 1 of 1