ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

TUT Kevin O'Connor

1/21/2006 10:16 PM
Steve
email
TUT Kevin O'Connor
Has anyone read and/or could recommend The Ultimate Tone Book 3, by Kevin O'Connor? I am reading the first one and it is very good. I might want to buy the 3rd as it has some info about an amp I own in it and I was just curious what the group thought of these books as a reference.

1/22/2006 4:22 PM
Greg Simon
I think TUT3 is the best one overall personally. TUT1 has a lot of good info about switching and mods. TUT3 takes you through the design process for many different amps and suggests changes to make them work better than stock. It also has a very good section on the physical part of wiring up a tube amp. Stuff like the wiring...which type and size of wire to use...the order the hook it up....lead dress issues, etc.  

Greg

1/23/2006 12:37 PM
Jag
email

My wife and daughter ordered TUT3 for me for Christmas (they actually pay attention to my ramblings!). It just came in last week and I started reading it last weekend.  

Since I don't have any of the other books in the series, I don't know how it compares but I am really impressed with TUT3. I'm going to order 1 and 2 later this week.  

I've been working on tube amps for almost two years now and have bought alot of books on the subject. I started out by buying Gerald Weber's first two books. I know he's got a bad reputation with some people and I don't agree with all of his opinions and reasonings but, his books really got me started on the right foot and he's been very helpful on the phone.  

I think the TUT books are the best I've seen so far. I also really like Dave Funk's Tube Amp Workbook Complete Guide to Vintage Tube Amplifiers Volume 1 - Fender. I've never seen a volume 2, but I sure hope he writes one.

1/23/2006 6:32 PM
Kevin St.Pierre
email

I have TUT 1 and 2 also.Really good books,I have a lot of others but Kevins books are very thorough and logical.Another book for some serious study is the US Navy training manual.The "Fun With Tubes" website is also a great resource.

1/23/2006 7:50 PM
Steve
email

Hey guys, thanks for posting, I appreciate it.  
I also have Inside Tube Amps by Dan Torres that seems pretty good for a primer. I was trying to figure out what I was going to buy next. I have looked on Amazon and the reviews point to a few books that might be a good fit. I think I'm going to skip buy TUT 3 next and see where that takes me.  

The others I'm looking at is the New Gerald Weber, Tube Guitar Amplifier Essentials, Morgan Jones' Building Valve Amplifiers and Valve Amplifiers, Third Edition and The Tube Amp Book by Aspen Pittman.  

Anybody read these?

1/24/2006 5:31 AM
Chris/CMW amps
email

Hi Steve  

My 1st "guitartubeampbook" was the 2nd edition of the Aspen Pittman tube and that was very handy in the pre-www-time :) (late 80s).  
The Marshall book from Doyle is pretty good for all sorts of info and schematics from Marshall amps and the "FunkBook" is very handy when servicing older Fender amps, like having the schematic and layout next to you on the bench.  
I don't have "all" books and if you're "just" looking for schematics the www is the place to search imho.  
Did borrow some Weber books from a buddy; lots of info but also opinions, just like the TUT-books in some kinda way imho.  

Cool book about basic designs and pretty cheap:  
"Understanding HiFi circuits" by Norman H. Crowhurst. The sections about PIs, outputstages and neg.feedback surely can be used for guitaramp-circuits too.  

Hope this helps/happy shopping :)  

Chris

1/24/2006 2:13 PM
Jag
email

I just got Gerald's new book last week as well (is everyone in Texas as slow shipping as he is?). I've only browsed it so far but looks to be good.  

Dan Torres' book is good (he's another one who's been very helpful on the phone), although might be a little too simple for some. Good explaination of general concepts.  

I sort of assume that everybody buys the Pittman book eventually. I think the new "Deluxe" version is worth having.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>