ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Marshall 9005

:
6/23/2005 5:31 PM
Pete
Marshall 9005
I am looking for help getting my Marshall 9005 to have a better low end. I had a 76 Marshall Super Lead which I ran a peavey rockmaster thru the bass inputs and I had the sound I wanted. I decided to just go rack mount(yea, I know a thing of the past!) but the 9005 is just not doing it for me. If anyone could help me get that increased low end out of the power amp and any other changes I could try to get a Marshall Super Lead power section sound would be greatly appreciated.  
Pete

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/23/2005 5:29 PM
Joe N.

"I am looking for help getting my Marshall 9005 to have a better low end. I had a 76 Marshall Super Lead which I ran a peavey rockmaster thru the bass inputs and I had the sound I wanted"  

Now Why did you go and do a thing like that! Couldn't leave good enough alone. Alright I'm done, I couldn't resist though. The only thing simple thing I can think of is to install a resonance control, but even that is involved, and doesn't add "bass" in the same way that you would typically think.

6/23/2005 6:13 PM
Pete

Hey the Peavey just added some chunk to the sound. I would push the SuperLead hard and choke it with the preamp and the tones I got were great. I messed up by buying this 9005 but there has to be a solution to the low end.

6/23/2005 6:32 PM
Joe N.

Pete I didn't mean to give you a hard time if thats what you think, trust me I've been down that road before several times. trying to make good enough, even better. More filtration might work along with installing a choke. The resonance control will add Low end, it's more like the diametric control to the presence. It also effects the feel of the amp, making it it feel "tighter" or "looser". It kind of depends on what type of music you play.  

Joe N.

6/23/2005 9:32 PM
Wild Bill

Pete, are you playing a lot of drop D and/or lower than usual tunings?  

Reason I ask is that I went through this with an amp for a nephew who plays "cookie monster" metal in these tunings. His crowd complained with some heads like Marshalls that the low end suffered.  

Lower bass frequencies require bigger OT's for the same power. I suspected that some regular lead heads just couldn't put out the same wattage when they tuned lower.  

I re-worked an old Traynor YBA 3 Custom Special, a 140 watt + tube bass amp from the late 60's. Essentially I put a Marshall style 2204 master volume preamp in it, driving 4 EL 34's into a big bass OT.  

It works great for him! Maybe there's some parallels for your situation.  

---Wild Bill

6/24/2005 5:47 AM
Joe N.

Heh heh "cookie monster metal" thats good. Pete's problem doesn't sound like an easy or a cheap fix. the 9005 wasn't marshall's most popular Poweramp, I think it only lasted two years, and looking at the scheme, it is pretty "typical" marshall topology. No matter what you do though, you are still going to get a different sound and dynamic from running a preamp into a poweramp, rather than running it into the front end of an amp  
Joe N.

6/24/2005 3:19 PM
Jack Collins

Maybe a different set of tubes?

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>