ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Fender "75" mods

:
5/15/2004 8:36 PM
Kevin STP
Re: Fender "75" mods
John: This happens with the original footswitch.I have cleaned and diddled with it forever but sometimes regardless of how loud I am playing when switching channels I get full volume.A real ear opener.Maybe I should just get new switches and replace em.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/16/2004 10:04 AM
Dan
So you think if the AMP is NOT working... I could certainly use the IRON and the Chassis to bulid a pretty nice 50 watt amp??? $250.00 ain't bad.  
Thanks for ALL the info!

5/16/2004 12:42 PM
Kevin STP

Thats a tough one Dan.If it is a combo with a good speaker,cabinet and transformers that work maybe but I would try to get it for less,I have read that in good working shape they go for about 350.00.What do you know about this particular amp?

5/17/2004 2:43 PM
John G
Kevin,  
There is a possibility that the opto coupler in the cold leg of the lead ch M/V is not working. Check to see if the volts change on the led side when the f/s is activated. When the lead ch is selected and the volume is high try the lead m/v control, if there is no control then it is the opto or wireing or the f/w. Putting a temp link from the cold end of the M/V pot to grnd should make the control function correctly.  
Also check for dry joints around the opto.  
John G

5/17/2004 7:44 PM
Kevin STP

Thanks John,I have been wondering if there was a way to test it.I will give your idea a try,it is a somewhat rare event and I have adapted my foot reflexes to deal with it,but as I rarely gig it has been livable.Thanks for the tip.--Kevin

5/18/2004 11:08 AM
jrr
Re: sozo + silver mica
though not fender 75 related,i found your description interestin because thats exactly what i heard from my 2204 after i redid it with sozo+silver mica combination...at volume at the rehersal space,great clear,punchy(g-r-u-n-t!),crunchy not harsh at all...just wanted to share.

5/18/2004 1:21 PM
Kevin StP

Hi jrr,Yeah I read a report about someone that used them in a plexi clone and they claimed it made the final piece of their sound puzzle come together so what the hell, I thought I'd give it a try.Gotta say I am some kinda satisfied,finally got what I have been listening for in sound.I thought they looked like Mallory's,I have since decided to try some Mallorys in another project as well as some Sprague 716's to see if there is any difference.I have done a lot of reading and some folks say a cap is a cap and if the specs are the same all will work the same but I think that is like saying a guitar is a guitar and if made from the same wood all will sound the same.HOGWASH.I have diddled with my amp since I bought it new and this is the first time I have been completely satisfied .Good Luck to you my friend and enjoy your new sound-to quote Frank Zappa "Music is like sex,great fun alone but definitely improves when shared with others"-Kevin

<<First Page<PrevPage 3 of 3