Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Peavey Classic 30 mods for playing harmonica?

4/25/2004 11:26 PM
Carlo Pipitone Peavey Classic 30 mods for playing harmonica?
Two friends of mine use a Classic 30 for playing blues harp, and frankly that amp wasn't born for this!  
I wonder which of the well known Steve Ahola 's mods would suit a harp player's needs.  
I don't believe in miracles (especially in this peculiar field... ;) ), but I'm looking for something that makes the C30 more similar to a small Fender amp.  
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/23/2004 1:07 AM
James price

Take the clean channel, LOWER plate voltage to @ 150-160vdc use .1 coupling caps where possible, that should be a GREAT start!
12/11/2004 4:12 AM

Change the 12ax7 valves for 12AU7's. (12AT7 works also but 12AU7 work better) No reverb, overdrive channel en push the boost button. Bass at 7/8, mid 3/4 treble 3/4. Make the EL84's really work (7/8)and try to use as little pre-gain as possible to get your sound. Keeps feedback better to control.  
I also changed the Blue Marvel speaker with an Celestion G12M Greenback. Speaker is 25 Watts, but my cab rarely works in the loudest mode and handles very well. Mind you, the G12H is 30 watts and works too, but the G12M is really working the mids and that is where your harmonica is.  
Try to get the cab behind you as high as your head and keep your bullet airtight! Works very good. Helps you to hear yourself and trows the sound over the head of the audience in stead into their legs. If you need more output get yourself a mike and a PA.  
Last suggestion: Get youself an second G12M an build yourself a little extention cab. Handling is a easier and maybe it's my imagination, but it looks like feedback-problem are less of a problem.  
Sorry for the bad English, but what do you want, I'm dutch!
12/11/2004 12:10 PM
Wild Bill

All good tips! I wouldn't put a 12AU7 in a 12AX7 without changing plate resistors, however. The tubes are so different the 12AU7 might eventually be damaged. A better choice would be a 12AY7.  
I'd also run that 1st triode stage at an even lower plate voltage, like 110-120 vdc.  
.1 mf couplers are the minimum. If you got anything bigger like .2 or .5 for the output tubes that couldn't hurt either. Harps put out more bass frequencies than a standard guitar.  
---Wild Bill
12/12/2004 1:12 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps

Actually, I think most harmonicas put out much less bass then a standard tuned guitar Bill.  
As an example, the lowest note on a bass harp is around 230Hz and I don't think there are many players blowing a bass harp.  
However, many harp players play into brite and mid scooped guitar amps, set with the bass up full and the treble pulled way way back because harp tone, by nature, is so thin sounding.  
Unless those players are using some very powerfull amps, they are frequently eaten alive on stage by the bass player and guitar player because their harp tone is so muddy, it vanishes.  
Serious players use a min of +30 to 50 watt amps, use the treble for presence and don't use anywhere near as much bass as casual, basement or garage band players do.  
The gain thing you mentioned still holds true though.  
Lower gain preamp tubes can really help with the uncontroillable feedback problems with hot mics.  
12/12/2004 9:42 PM
Wild Bill

230 hz? I stand corrected! :)  
My thoughts came from misremembering some info on harp web pages.  
I must have been confused with blowing jugs as in a jug band, which comes from still thinking about that other thread to do with contact enhancement cream and Dolly Parton...  
---Wild Bill
12/13/2004 2:45 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps

"blowing jugs as in a jug band, which comes from still thinking about that other thread to do with contact enhancement cream and Dolly Parton..."
Hi Hi!  
73 OM  

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>