ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

What happened to www.18watt.com?

:
3/16/2006 11:09 PM
daddydg
What happened to www.18watt.com?
Quite a cryptic message on their site. Anyone know what happened?

3/17/2006 4:55 AM
anonymous
I think this is it...  
It seems their freedom of speech is being challenged by an upset musical supply type company.

3/17/2006 6:22 AM
Wild Bill

So what's the REAL story?  

Inquiring minds would like to know! :)  

If the challenge to free speech has merit I'd support it. If it's just meanness and spite from someone who tries to patent everything up to and including respiration then I'd like to know!  

Then I can decide if I want to boycott that offending company...  

Those businesses who engage in frivolous lawsuits should be taught that they can win all the battles but lose the war in the court of public opinion.  

---Wild Bill

3/17/2006 9:27 AM
MarkB
There has been plenty of talk about this on other forums, and I've had my final say. That being said, I wouldn't go by anything said by an anonymous poster - there's a lot of that going on regarding this subject. I know what originally set of the situation, and I'm not boycotting anyone.  
Patenting wasn't involved.

3/17/2006 11:11 AM
jaysg
I a sense, I don't want to know. I've talked to Graydon briefly...giving him my condolences. I've only read between the lines. I assume there's a lawsuit or two, otherwise, there'd be no reason to kill the banners and adverts. It's a shame.  

It's a problematic situation when once or twice a week, someone new posts the question, "geez guys, I'm confused. Which kit should I buy?" Some of the vendors are aggressive and some are not. Many are opinionated...which is perfectly fine, as long as civility rules. Without knowing who's involved, the guys I suspect have actually been very good contributors.

3/18/2006 9:57 PM
bob p
quote:
"I a sense, I don't want to know."

i agree with you there. sometimes you're just better off not knowing details.  

one problem that seems to crop up fairly often on all of the web-based boards (not necessarily those realted to guitar stuff) is the freedom of speech argument. some people think that freedom of speech gives them the ability so say whatever they'd like to say without any fear of retribution. well, it just doesn't work that way. sure, we're free to say whatever you want to say, but then we're also on the hook for what we've said. alot of people like the idea of free speech, but aren't too keen on living with its consequences. they try to hide in anonymity and shove the responsibility off on someone else.  

the problem for BBS operators comes along when people say things that they shouldn't and then its the sysop's job to deal with it or not to deal with it. more often than not its a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.

3/17/2006 11:11 AM
Greg Simon
My impression was that someone had a vendetta against a well respected company and went a little too far in expressing that, and I've heard that lawsuis were threatened, but don't know for sure. The end result is that everyone for the time being is deprived of visiting a site many enjoy.  

Greg

Page 1 of 9 Next> Last Page>>