ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

"voice of rock and roll"

:
2/13/2006 3:48 PM
mark h
"voice of rock and roll"
http://cgi.ebay.com/Celestion-Alnico-Blue-12-speaker-NIB_W0QQitemZ7390536135QQcategoryZ43375QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I'm thinking of going for it. Seems a small price to pay for "The voice of rock and roll"....M

2/13/2006 11:38 PM
GlennW
And all this time I thought it was Elvis.  

Good luck.

2/14/2006 3:46 PM
Steve Dallman

I miss Pyle Drivers. Now THERE was the voice...and at $20 (store cost in the 80's) a darned better buy than that Celestion.

2/14/2006 4:30 PM
mark h

I threw this link out there originaly because the seller had a price of $2,490. on it. He has since revised the ad. It was humorous at the time. I guess you had to be there...M

2/14/2006 5:19 PM
GlennW
This isn't that funny, but this guy appears to be serious...  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Alnico-Celestion-G12-Matched-Pair-Original-Exc_W0QQitemZ7388996875QQcategoryZ121165QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2/15/2006 12:19 AM
Steve Dallman

$1200 or more for a pair of speakers is insane.  

In 1983 I went to the Chicago NAMM show. EV had an interesting display. There was a black wall with maybe a dozen different 12" speakers in it or more. There was a Marshall and Fender head there along with a Les Paul and a Strat and switches to select any of the speakers, which were numbered.  

Attendees were to try either or both of the guitars using either amp and then rate the speakers according to what they thought sounded the best.  

Then the identity of the speakers selected was revealed. EV, JBL and Altec Lansings were consistently at the top of the list, and Celestions were consistenly on the bottom. I don't recall the models the wall included for Celestion or any of the other brands.  

Now this was some time ago, so offerings by these companies has changed significantly.  

My own memories of Marshalls and Celestions in the late 60's, and throughout the 70's are that everyone I knew who had a Marshall with Celestions blew the speakers on a pretty regular basis.  

My own experience in bands I played in were that no one EVER blew a speaker, but we're talking old Jensens, Oxfords (had one wear out), CTS and Eminence. And my still ringing ears tell me we played too damned loud.

2/15/2006 12:20 AM
Steve Dallman

I just looked at the $1200 pair and see that after 7 days, he didn't get ONE bid.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>