ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

50's and 60's speakers

:
1/12/2006 9:23 PM
markphaser 50's and 60's speakers
The old fender and marshall 50's and 60's speaker's they use what made them sound better or good than never speakers?  

What reissue speakers are like the fender's and marshall 50's and 60's speakers?

1/12/2006 9:25 PM
markphaser
Is the AC impedance different on the 50's and 60's speakers?  

If the Reactance different on the 50's and 60's speakers ?

1/12/2006 9:33 PM
anonymous
Go Away

1/12/2006 9:52 PM
markphaser
100 watts doesn't equal 25 or 35 watts so i don't get it  

25w X 4 = 100 watts  

35w X 4= 140 watts  

50w X 4= 200 watts

1/13/2006 7:40 AM
anonymous
What a maroon.

1/13/2006 8:25 AM
Mark Hammer

Speakers have magnets in them and the cones are made of paper. Paper changes over time and so do magnets. Some people like the way that sounds.  

That's really all there is to say about it.

1/13/2006 2:20 PM
SpeedRacer
file under misc ramblings.. ymmv!  

- the actual mix of materials in the paper is still a 'witches brew' kind of deal as I understand it. paper is not paper.. there is no guarantee that the paper you purchase today is made the same way from the same materials. It is probably close, but not identical - I think that is pretty much established.  
- types of magnets behave differently (AlNiCo vs Ceramic). Most modern OTS speakers are ceramic bc it's much much cheaper to mfr them than alnico, so profit margins are much bigger. Sonically they are not identical.  
- Different mfrs have different dopings/amounts  
- your magnetic gap can be tighter or looser (strength falls off as the square of the distance, so a little goes a long way) this alters teh amount of flux in the gap to affect the VC.  
- your magnets can be gaussed (or degaussed as the case may be..) IIRC it is mainly an alnico thing - getting weaker over time. I don't remember if ceramics do this or not.  
- spiders loosen  
- Kapton voice coils have a different size and mass than equiv paper formers. This affects response. The original Mojo P10R (IIRC, as an example) was simply a version of the Fender Bassman RI speakers (which got a rep for being harsh) but Mojo used paper formers.. and the difference was huge. Fender used Kapton (a high temp plastic from DuPont) bc it could take more heat and would make the speakers more rugged.  

Power handling is primarily a function of heat. How much heat can the VC get rid of before it either burns or melts the wire? Sometimes the suspension is damaged by over excursion prior to this (leading to rubs etc). So in order to get higher power handling, you move from paper VC to nomex to kapton to aluminum or whatever.. you make the VC bigger (more area) user bigger wire, add venting, etc. Guitar amps are an extreme example of powr handling as square waves are nastier than sines.. (much higher duty cycle=less time to cool off). Paper and Nomex are essentially identical in size and mass etc so going with Nomex is a good move wherever you use paper if you want to make something more heat resistant. I've used it in OEI OT's since day 1 because of that. Same thickness as paper, same basic dieletric properties.. just harder to kill. ;)  

The cone itself is a transmission line. The signal runs from the VC out to the edge. The "ribs" are to break up the nodes, so how many and where they are matters. As the speaker is used more and more and ages I would expect the low end to fill out (as the suspension loosens) and the overall response get a little smoother from the paper not being as rigid (less able to reproduce HF transients) but that's all just WAGs.

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>