ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Simplified AC30 Clone

:
Clyde Simplified AC30 Clone
I'm not too up on Vox clones and a client wants a 2-channel w/top-boost amp, no reverb or trem. Are  
there any boutique schematics that fill the bill?  
Any transformer and speaker recommendations? Thanks.  
Clyde.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

11/13/2005 12:16 AM
Chris/CMW amps

Hi Clyde  

Sounds like a Matchless DC30 :)  
Matchless DC30: TopBoost channel with paralleld 1st tube and the right channel does have an EF86 like the very early AC30s.  
You could also do this:  
Just clone the AC30 but don't use the trem./vibrato-channel circuit and then connect the non-topboost-channel to the other input of the PI so you can mix both channels without phase-problems. Brian May does use the normal-channel with a booster in front of it.  

Iron:  
MercuryMagnetics does offer at least 3 versions, the Wooden ones are the most used/wanted afaik.  
OEI does offer a great output OT and companies like Heybour are also offering AC30 iron.  

Speakers:  
Celestion Alnico Blue or H30s or contact Ted Weber for his excellent suggestions.  

Hope this helps,  

Chris

11/13/2005 5:53 AM
mike

http://www.tonezoneonline.com/files/ac30.jpg

11/25/2005 2:57 PM
M
That looks exactly like a Doug Hoffman  
layout.

11/27/2005 10:49 PM
Clyde
It is, It is a Doug Hoffman layout! Mike sells Hoffman boards and I've dealt with him before, good  
guy.

11/28/2005 9:32 AM
mike

Yes it is Doug's layout.I manufacture the Hoffman board kits and do give Doug credit for the layouts on my site.  
Thanks for the kind words.

11/28/2005 5:46 PM
Mark Abbott

There is an AC-30 circuit of sorts at the Twreck page that I came up with from what I had heard on the matter (it's not my circuit design.)  

http://www.maximoaudio.com/forum  

I had also heard that some people like using a 1K resistor in the power supply instead of the 22K (from memory) that Vox uses.  

It's all food for thought.  

Yours Sincerely  

Mark Abbott

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>