ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Fender Twin best to build from scratch

:
10/20/2005 12:09 PM
steveo
Fender Twin best to build from scratch
Hey amp dudes  

I am not a huge fender fan but I have an old  
twin chassis with nothing.. I plan to build it up,  
is it tweed twin blackface hybrid?  

options and opinions thanks.  

also info on transformers thanks

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/20/2005 3:36 PM
Shea

quote:
"is it tweed twin blackface hybrid?"

Not sure what you're asking. There were tweed twins, and there were blackface twin reverbs. There also were brown twins and silverface twin reverbs, but that seems to go beyond the scope of your question.  

quote:
"options and opinions thanks."

You can put 6L6s in them, or 5881s.  

I like Twins.  

quote:
"also info on transformers thanks"

Every Twin model had a power transformer and an output transformer. Most of them also had a choke.  

You can find a partial list of Fender transformer numbers at http://www.hoffmanamps.com  

You may purchase clones of Fender transformers from just about any website that sells amp parts, as well as Mercury Magnetics and Heyboer Transformers.  

Shea

10/20/2005 4:10 PM
Chris/CMW amps

Hi  

Like Shea said: there were a lot of Twins, at least 3 different PTs, OTs and chokes in tweeds, probably 2 kinds of OTs in brown/white Twins and then the blackface/early silverfaces ones. The voltages and circuits do also differ greatly.  

If you're into "classic" clean sounds then a blackface project would be the way to go and, for example, if you're into modern Clapton or live Keith Richards sounds then the late 50s Twin would be a cool option.  

Hope this helps, keep on rockin' & building,  

Chris

10/20/2005 5:25 PM
SpeedRacer

I'd build the low power tweed twin (5E8-A IIRC) if I could only build one and did not need reverb or trem. it's the baddest. :) Otherwise the 5F6-A version of the Twin is also a killer. (I would still stick to 40W unless you really need 80W..)  
A stand alone trem in front of one of these would make you forget about onboard trem anyhow.  

If you're only going to go clean, you're missing all the fun. ;) but would perhaps be happiest with a BF (AB763) circuit. They are ok dirty, but IMHO pale when compared with the tweed twins, which are much closer to marshalls in many ways. they just plain scream.  

jm2c, ymmv, and the usual disclaimers apply..

10/20/2005 5:49 PM
jaysg
quote:
"I'd build the low power tweed twin (5E8-A IIRC) if I could only build one and did not need reverb or trem. it's the baddest. :) Otherwise the 5F8-A version of the Twin is also a killer. (I would still stick to 40W unless you really need 80W..)"

Are you recommeding that he build a 40W version of the 80W amp? That would be a 2-12" tweed bassman I suppose.  

Keith Richards seems to get a lot of clang from his - clang that isn't in the low power version...maybe it's how he plays it though, and not the preamp.

10/21/2005 9:16 AM
steveo

Sorry to be so non-specific I am just not that into clean but perhaps the ab763 for clean add the reverb  
skip the trem and I would also maybe have a more..  
dirty channel just wanted I guess schematics to pull Ideas from no need for an accuarate "clone" and so I have some kind of nice layout to follow as well

10/21/2005 1:35 PM
steve rathmann
schems

Page 1 of 1