ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Hum, noise when rolling vol

:
4/15/2005 10:21 PM
swt Hum, noise when rolling vol
Hey Guys!. Sorry to ask a maybe dumb question. The last homebrew i finished, has a wierd problem. When i rolled the volume pot of my guitar a little, there's noise/hum, introduce to the signal. There's not at full rotation, or at zero. Any ideas how to solve this??. Thanks in advance!!

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/15/2005 10:46 PM
chuck
My first thought is that the guitar vol. pot is shorting when you rotate it from it's stop points. If the pot is worn the wiper tab could be leaving the track. I've seen it before.  

Does the problem only exist with the one amp? Does the hum happen only while the pot is being rotated or is it there when the pot is set to a position between 0 and 10 and left there?

4/16/2005 1:34 AM
Enzo

If I read you, you mean that the guitar sound comes out OK and the volume control works OK, but that there is hum that us worst with the guitar volume centered and teh hum is less at max and min. Yes?  

Make sure everything is well grounded in the guitar, especially the cover of the volume pot. If the pot body is not grounded, it acts like an antenna. Make sure any shields in teh guiatr works cavity are making contact with the rest or are otherwise grounded.

4/17/2005 10:09 PM
swt
i have more than one guitar, and it does it with all of them. max, no hum, min no hum, but as you reach middle point, hum increases. any ideas?

4/18/2005 5:57 AM
Michael Polutta

Check your grounds in the amp.

4/20/2005 5:49 AM
Pedro Vecino
In certain circumstances (crunch, lead..) it is a normal effect. If you disconnect the cable in the guitar you will verify the effect of "lack of load " in the amp input, which produces noise.  
Lowering the volume in the guitar supposes an approximation to the "lack of load" caused by the existing resistance between the pick up and the input jack.  
This effect can diminish using a lower value pot in the guitar volume but the response of the pick-up also will alter. Sorry for my bad languaje. Regards

4/20/2005 10:18 AM
Dutch

quote:
"Make sure everything is well grounded in the guitar, especially the cover of the volume pot. If the pot body is not grounded, it acts like an antenna. Make sure any shields in teh guiatr works cavity are making contact with the rest or are otherwise grounded."

Enzo--  
Any magic tricks to get rid of AM radio interference that is worst when the guitar volume pot is all the way down? I've shielded and grounded everything in the guitar, which helped, but it still picks up Radio Disney when I roll the pot down, getting noticeably worse as the pot gets below "3" or so.  

How 'bout tricks for dialing it out of a Crybaby wah? I live virtually underneath an AM tower, and I get an annoying amount of interference during the day.  

My proposed solution involved a lot of C4 at the base of the transmitter's antenna, but as personally satisfying as it would be, I don't think that would be the best solution.... }:^)>  

TIA!  

C ya,  
Dutch

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>