ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

i think a lot of people hear with their eyes. whatcha th

:
3/27/2005 7:23 PM
bono i think a lot of people hear with their eyes. whatcha th
i think a lot of people hear with their eyes and not their ears. What do u think?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/27/2005 11:07 PM
onan
I think a lot of people think they believe and believe what they think.

3/27/2005 11:17 PM
chuck
I've thought alot about this and I don't generally think much. So I think that so much thinking is bad for me. But I don't want to think about that now.

3/28/2005 4:48 AM
Brad1

The music business is more about image than talent. It started over 50 years ago, but went into overdrive with the introduction of music videos.  
Would Elvis have been Elvis if he was a short, chubby, buck-toothed kid with haystack hair, but the same voice?  
Would the Beatles have been as big if they didn't start out just so darn cute? These are cases where it really started to juxtapose, although these people actually DID have some measure of talent.  
Would Britney have made it if there WASN'T video?  
50 Cent is a talentless thug, but he has "street cred", so his image put him there.  
It's not at all about the music anymore. It's about how the recording industry continuously digs deeper to find something even more outrageous that they can make money on by selling to the impressionable kids.  
Luckily, there are still some good musicians out there making good music. You just won't find them on the radio much anymore.  
I'm guessing that's what the original intent of this thread is about.  

Brad1

3/28/2005 9:58 AM
Wild Bill
Re: i think a lot of people hear with their eyes. whatch
You're right, Brad!  

All the more reason to dump the record labels, if you can. They've become so tight-assed in marketing the next naked bellybutton and pushing a standardized pop sound that if you're over 20 they just bore the ass off you with their product.  

In the 60's and 70's there was a wide variety in the music industry. Today the suits have deliberately tried to stamp that out. If you restrict market choices long enough you get entire generations growing up that are "trained" to want your crap!  

Sure when the kids get older they get fussier but the suits don't care - they perceive the bulk of the market to be in the kiddie demographic. That's where most tof the easy money lies.  

No wonder the labels freaked out over Napster and downloading. It wasn't just the loss of royalties. It was also about a market discovering more options! You could d/l a song sitting in your pj's in the early morning. What's more, you could grab just the songs you liked! When we left vinyl we lost the 45. So you paid big bucks for a CD with only one or two good songs and the rest just filler - the suits knew full well you had no other choice.  

The 'Net lets independents market their music directly to their chosen demographic, without the need for a label. Digital technology has slashed the cost of studio time and making a CD. You really only need a label for financial backing for big promotion. You can start off marketing yourself and make a reasonable living. If and when you get big enough to attract a label you'll have more clout to bargain with, like with Eminem.  

That's why the Britney clones and the entire world of rap/hiphop have no interest for me - it's just "corporate rock". It's disco all over again - suits milking pop "pap" for a market either too young to have a brain or who grew up without one... :(  

Thank heaven for the Stripes, Hives, Vines, Trews and whatnot - straight up rock and roll and hopefully they make enough money on tours, concerts and selling their own CDs/Tshirts off the stage to tell the labels to get lost if they don't want to make a serious and fair deal.  

Just my opinion...  

---Wild Bill

3/28/2005 10:16 AM
bono
your'e right! the record industry makes me sick!!!!!!!!!!!

3/28/2005 12:29 PM
earl

It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker. I began to think alone -- "to relax," I told myself -- but I knew it wasn't true.  

Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was thinking all the time. I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself.  

I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?" I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "Man, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find other employment."  

This gave me a lot to think about. I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Sweetheart," I confessed, "I've been thinking..."  

"I know you have," she said, starting to cry, "and if you don't stop, I'll want a divorce!"  

"But dear, surely it's not that serious."  

"It is serious," she said through her rolling tears. "You think as much as college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking we won't have any money!"  

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry again.  

I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door. I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche, with NPR on the radio. I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors. They didn't open: the library was closed. To this day, I believe that a Higher Power was looking out for me that night. As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye.  

"Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked.  

You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster.  

Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a noneducational video; last week it was Porky's Revenge. Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting. I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home.  

Life just seemed... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking.  

Soon, I will be able to vote Republican.

Page 1 of 10 Next> Last Page>>