ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Octal preamp amps

:
12/30/2004 8:25 PM
Ted
Octal preamp amps
Does anyone build them anymore? I have a bunch of 5C5 chasses that I should probably turn into kits since I have parts and a 2x12/1x15 cabinet that fits.  

Seems like slamming a gridleak octal preamp would be kinda fun and create some interesting tones.  

Are 6SJ7's available? Will I have to take out a second mortgage to get decent ones?  

Thanks,  

Ted

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

12/30/2004 8:54 PM
Mark Lavelle

quote:
"Are 6SJ7's available? Will I have to take out a second mortgage to get decent ones?"
Hell yes, and hell no!  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14947&item=3863502405  

They're new (probably really NOS) Russian equivalents, and every other type of tube I've bought from him are at least as good as any current production tubes...

12/30/2004 9:08 PM
neil

Phillips/Sylvania glass 6sj7wgta's are available at Angela.com for $8 each. They sound great and last years.  

Offer a 12v heater option; 12sj7's are damn near free.  

-neil

12/30/2004 9:41 PM
Ted
I screwed up....
I meant to say 6SC7, which what what the 5C5 used, but I had 6SJ7 on the brain...  

Ted

1/3/2005 5:10 PM
Darin

Hey Ted,  

Does this mean you are willing to blow out some of these 5C5 chassis at a discount?  

FYI  
I bought a 12F150 from you for my modified Allen 5F1 project. So far, it sounds best using my mod of an octal pre in parallel to the mini. I have been running a variety of 6SN7s in this position and they all sound much better than any of the minis in this amp. I picked up a box full of NOS and used 6SN7s on eBay for a song.  

What other dual triode octal pres will work in this configuration? 6SL7?

1/3/2005 5:25 PM
neil

The 6SC7 is a little different creature. Same amplification factor as a 6SL7, but the cathodes of the two sections are internally tied together. They are about 13.00 a piece for metal cans. Glass ones may be hard to find.  

I sure do like the ultra-simple circuit of the 5C5, though.

1/3/2005 6:48 PM
daddydg
6SC7 v 6SL7
6sc7s can be prone to microphonics, also. Using a 6sl7 and joining the cathodes is a good option. They are also a bit more available and inexpensive.  

Dan

Page 1 of 1