ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: HELP with odd observation...

:
12/17/2004 6:09 AM
drewl Re: HELP with odd observation...
You never noticed this when turning off an amp while holding or sustaining a note or chord?  
I assumed it was normal....has to be a technical reason why..maybe cause the B+ is dropping..?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

12/17/2004 9:41 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps

Missing ground or bad solder joint.  
Maybe you're right.  
I might need another pair of eyes to start checking my work! ha ha..  

Bruce

12/17/2004 8:47 PM
Mikko

Hah-haa, my bad. I bet you can solder your stuff eyes tied. Well just like introduce my mistakes here...I'm not absolutely sure about this next one but I'm remembering the volume up effect in turn off when I accidentally soldered 22k resistor in place of trad 470ohm in LTP!? (Guess I've run out for new guesses for a while now.)

12/18/2004 11:44 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps

I've seen a couple builders use a 470K resistor instead of a 470! ha ha..  
A common goof with some of my 5E3 kit builders is using the 100 ohm filament balancing resistors as the 100K ohm plate load resistors!!  
Another mistake is using the 100 ohm or 100K resistor for the 1M input jack resistors on the input jacks.  

Everyone goofs up eventually and I make my share of mistakes too.  

Bruce

12/18/2004 7:05 PM
Mikko

Heh, reading a post like this makes me paranoid already...for my part the shittiest was a forgotten hidden resistor (soldered to ground under big plastic cap), it took weeks of TIME and nerve to find what was wrong with the amp.

12/17/2004 7:24 AM
Steve A.

Bruce:  

The amp in question gets louder when you turn the power switch off because of what is known in scientific circles as the "toilet paper phenomenon" whenever you try to tear off a sheet it will tend to rip anywhere except for the perforation. Although accepted as a universal truth no one yet has come up with an explanation why the lack of matter (the space in the perforation) is stronger than the material itself.  

Steve Ahola

12/17/2004 9:42 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps

Oh thatnls Styeve... just what I need, a lesson in String Theory or Quatam physics.  

Bruce

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 5 Next> Last Page>>