ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Favorite rock album with the guitarist and what amp?

10/25/2004 9:53 PM
Munk Favorite rock album with the guitarist and what amp?
I haven't seen this here yet but I always wondered what the guitarist in certain bands used on certain albums. For instance Eddie on the first VH album used his famous Marshall 100 watt amp he bought from The rose Palace in Pasadena, Ca and then slaved thru his fx to another marshall amp.  
Robin Trower used to use non master 100 watt Marshalls with a fuzz face and univibe.  

Any one want to join in on the list of favorite guitarist using what amp and fx for their favorite album? Is there already a list out there? So many great tones but who is using what??? :D  

Just a thought....  

Munk

10/26/2004 1:38 PM
Rick Erickson
email

One of my all-time favorites is Ritchie Blackmore on Deep Purple's "Machine Head" album. Guitar: Fender Strat, Amp: Vox AC30. Not sure about what effects he might have used but crank the neck pickup of a good strat through the Normal channel of a perfectly functioning AC30 W/Cel 15W Bulldog speakers and you will pretty much nail that tone.

10/26/2004 2:54 PM
Alex
Warren Haynes in first Govīt Mule album (Soldano SLO / Cesar Diaz).  

Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs (marshall plexi 1959 I think)  

Frank Marino (all albums no idea of the amps)  

Cheers

10/26/2004 3:24 PM
slowblues
email

Early Gary Moore think "Parisienne Walk Ways" Les Paul (or was it that strat with a bridge humbucker) through 1959 Marshall.  
slow.

12/13/2004 5:19 PM
Boy Howdy
Frank Marino used Sunn transistor amps as did Todd Rundgren in the first Utopia band. Marino used a Super reverb for his "Guitwar" air raid piece.

10/26/2004 3:12 PM
steve Rathmann
Alex Lifeson on "All the World's a Stage". Les Paul into a wah, phaser, echo (maybe an echoplex) then a couple Marshall stacks. Pure, raw, balls out rock setup. When I want to be inspired to just simply rock out this is the recording I listen to. Either that or Badmotorfinger. Not sure what Chris' or Kim's setups were like though.

10/26/2004 7:15 PM
Munk
Alex Lifeson on "All the World's a Stage". Les Paul into a wah, phaser, echo (maybe an echoplex) then a couple Marshall stacks. Pure, raw, balls out rock setup.  

Man, I remember when that album first came out in 76. I was 15 and sitting in a buddies car drinking MD-20 20 and smoking a joint, he had just installed a quad stereo 8 track player and put that 8 track of all the worlds a stage on and that "SOUND" just was so friggin awesome.  
Thats what made me want to play guitar. The Marshall/Les paul sound just killer....:D  

Munk

Page 1 of 12 Next> Last Page>>