ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Has the "Jensen" speaker brand been purchased?

9/29/2004 3:17 PM
Dave James
email
Has the "Jensen" speaker brand been purchased?
Hi All,  

I recently read "something somewhere" that indicated either the Jensen speaker brand was not *really* Jensen or that the low-end Jensen speakers (read low-cost) were made by a company called Recoton(sp?) and not Jensen proper.  

Any input?  

Just bought some of the "MOD" Jensen speakers (2 10's, a 12 and a 15) and am now doubting their lineage.  

Also, anybody have experience with another speaker called "Sica" (I think). They're sold by Antique Electronics apparently as the replacement for the AES marked Eminance/Emminence/whatever.  

Later,  

DJ

9/29/2004 3:25 PM
Mikko Kankaanpää
Sica is speaker brand and factory that is making Jensen Re-issue speakers in Italy.  

Mikko

9/29/2004 4:48 PM
Dave James
email

Mikko - thanks!  

DJ

9/29/2004 6:29 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

What I read in an online business journal was "Jensen speakers" as a company, went under, ...remoured due to some very high unpaid import duty $$ stuff.  
What I think happened was, CE Distributing, which also owns AES, bought the rights to the Jensen speaker name during the bankruptcy settlement and then I heard they told SICA (the actual builders of the reissue Jensen musical instrument speakers), they had to cancel all their speaker contracts with other buyers as they could not build any speakers for anyone else but CE Distributing.... ahem, guess CE now thinks they are "Jensen".  
Feels like corporate strongarm BS.  

Oh and how about this.... now we get to try and figure out what New Sensor in New York is doing by buying the "name rights and tradmarks" of Mullard and Tung Sol... they're sticking their cheap Russian SOVTEK tubes in those recently printed boxes pretending like they are something they are not! What a CROCK!  
It's more reasons why I try not to do much business with NSC or CE anymore.  

Bruce

9/30/2004 9:39 AM
Dave James
email

Hi Bruce, thanks for the insight.  

I was vaguely aware of the NSC/Mullard/Tung-Sol deal but the news on Jensen was new.  

Two questions: "CE Distributing" - who're they?  
And which on-line business journal carries this info?  

Regards,  

DJ

9/30/2004 10:08 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

Just do a Google search for "Jensen Recoton Bankruptcy" and you'll find all kinds of old articles about it.  
Same with CE Distributing.  
Bruce

10/1/2004 6:20 AM
jeremy
email

ce distributing is the wholesale branch of antique electronics.\  

jeremy

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>