ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Schematic 4 an ultra high gain amp

1/23/2006 8:13 PM
Pete
email
Schematic 4 an ultra high gain amp
I recently built an P1 from ax84 and I am really stoked about the results. It sounds great. That was just a warm up. Now I am ready to build an ultra high gain amp using the el84 class A power section I currently have. If anyone has a schematic that is working and works well I would love to build it.

1/24/2006 5:22 PM
Joe N.
email

ultra high gain designs IMHO don't mate well with that type of power section. There is a reason why you typically see all the high gain amps mated with Large, super clean running, power amps. Anything is worth a shot though.

1/24/2006 9:30 PM
Carl@Zwengel amps
email

I'm in complete agreement with Joe on this one! Just splicing an ultra gain preamp on the front end of this power amp it's most likely going to sound like total ass!  

If you actually want to learn something go for it but expect to have to tweak the living hell out of it. You'll learn a whole lot more this way than just piggy backing on somebody elses work.  

Carl

1/25/2006 6:57 AM
steveo
email

You can start with the ac-30 top boost and tweak that a bit, but agreed you may want to look at the renegade  
project over there something with el34 or 6l6

1/25/2006 11:01 AM
Pete
email

Thanks for the replies and I think I get a clear picture on how unstable hi gain amps can get.  

I think I will just build the hi octane that ax84 has and after that try my hand at a 2204 with a bit more gain.  

Will the 2204's power amp be suitable for hi gain? Easier to keep the squeals down?

1/25/2006 1:28 PM
Joe N.
email

oh yeah. a 2204 is deffinately suitable for high gain application. just make sure you use a good layout, and use sheilded wire to the grids of the preamp tubes.

1/25/2006 2:16 PM
jimi
Ive got one of those 135w fender twins. Would modding the preamp for high gain work in that? What would be a good mod?

Page 1 of 1