ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

marshall choke replacement

1/20/2006 1:15 PM
Joe N.
marshall choke replacement
what do you guys think? A 10H, 90ma, 270ohm would make for a good 100W marshall choke replacement.

1/21/2006 4:16 AM
Chris/CMW amps

Hi Joe  

It also depends on the used materials, wire and way of winding and building but I love 10H chokes in 50 and 100 Watt Marshalls for blues and rock.  

Hope this helps,  

Chris

1/21/2006 8:03 AM
Joe N.

thanks chris,  

the one I'm thinking of using is from triad magnetics.  

http://www.triadmagnetics.com/subcategory/xref.asp?formid=mpart&reference=c-7x  

The model is c-7x. The specs look good. looks like it has enough current for a 100W, and the resistance is right in the ball park of what is normal, but I don't know how its made, or if any one has used it for a guitar amp. I also don't know the specs of the original marshall used. I guess in reality, it just has to be better than a resistor, and I'll be happy.  

-Joe

1/22/2006 2:57 AM
Chris/CMW amps

Hi Joe  

Haven't tried/used that one so I can't commend...  

About every choke is better than a resistor if that's needed :)  
Regardings Hs, current and ohms I don't see a problem using that Triad choke.  

Keep on building,  

Chris

1/23/2006 4:26 PM
Jimi

Hi Ive got a 135w fender twin, doesnt have a choke. Would it help to warm it up if I put one in there or even a resistor?

1/24/2006 2:08 PM
Chris/CMW amps

Hi Jimi  

You can convert the UL output to a regular one and install a replacement Fender choke. That choke will fit if mounted in a slight angle or you could slightly "modify" the small board above the new choke in the chassis.  

Besides other tweaks I've done this a couple of times in 75 and 135 Watt fenders for clients wanting a "better/more vintage" sound.  

Hope this helps,  

Chris

1/23/2006 8:30 PM
BK
270Ohm is a bit on the high side. You can get Hammond chokes of the rating down to 100Ohms. This wont drop your voltage as much.  

BK

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>