ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Just started my first amp build!

1/15/2006 8:40 PM
Cobra
Just started my first amp build!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

I'm just getting started on my first amp build. I've got almost all of the parts & components, & I'm finalizing the configuration & layout. It's gonna have 2 separate preamps:  

1) the brite side of a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe with 2 inputs, 1 12AX7, 1 volume & 1 tone.  
2) AC-15 preamp with 2 inputs, 1 EF86, 1 volume, & global cut control.  

I'm still deciding on what type of phase inverter circuit. It's either going to be a cathodyne, or a long tailed pair.  

Power amp will be like a 5E3x2, or a Victoria Double Deluxe, utilizing four 6V6 tubes cathode biased, with either a GZ34, or a 5V4/GZ32 recto tube.  

Transformers will be a complete Matchless DC-30 three trannie set: Power, 30 watt output, & choke. 4, 8, & 16 ohm speaker outs. Big iron!  

The chassis is .090 all aluminum 16"x10"x3" with mouning flanges, & very nicely welded on all four corners.  

The whole shootin' match will be housed in a 2x10 combo cab, controls on the front, like Dr.Z combos, with two 8ohm Scumback 10" speakers run in series, at 16ohms total, to take advantage of all the windings of the Matchless output transformer. Of course, I can also wire the speakers in parallel at 4ohms for a different configuration.  

I'm far from an expert on this, so any amp gurus that want to chime in on anything at all, feel free to do so. This project is, & will continue to be, a work in progress. I started buying the parts for it almost 2 years ago, & I've been doing copius amounts of research so I have some idea what I'm doing. The goal is to build a homebrew amp that has the features I like & want, will hopefully do clean to scream from the guitar volume, & provide me with a cool learning experience on the finer points of the inner workings of guitar amps. I'd appreciate anybody's thoughts, opinions, ideas, or suggestions.

1/24/2006 7:42 AM
Cobra

I guess nobody is interested in this thread. Shoot... I was hoping some of the more experienced homebrew builders, as well as the amp guru's, would weigh in on this project. Maybe I need to post with topics targeting specific areas of my amp build. Any suggestions?  
Thanks!

1/24/2006 1:01 PM
Pete C
Hi, that happened to me many times - persevere !  

Sounds like you have already got very clear and fixed ideas on what you want to achieve - which is great.  
The only advice I can give you is to read, read, read as much as you can around the subject and be prepared to be flexible on your final design.  

I've built several amps with a mental picture of what I wanted to achieve only to find that the final amp fell short of my expectations when "pasting" together a design from bits of classics.  

The biggest watch out Ive found is that even if you faithfully follow a schematic, then your layout and lead dress can make an enormous amount of difference to the final sound.  
Sometimes Ive had to rip the amp apart and start again with layout and wiring.  
Also a "neat" looking amp is not always the most noise free - again be prepared to stay flexible with the layout and wiring. There are some really good articles if you search around the forums and on google.  

Sounds like you have enough awareness to build a great amp - keep us posted on progress and good luck with it.  

Pete C

Page 1 of 1