ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Lead Dress

:
10/29/2005 2:11 PM
Mike Tremante
Lead Dress
Does anyone know of a good text that discusses lead dress or the theories related to it? Thanks.

10/29/2005 10:52 PM
Don Symes

The best reference would bo photos of the inside of a vintage HiWatt.  

There are sure to be tube-era Mil-Std books, as well, but that's as specific as I can get.

10/30/2005 12:41 AM
Greg Simon
The Hiwatts aren't perfect... Kevin O' Connor touched on some problems with them in TUT3, but they sure are pretty!  

Greg

10/30/2005 1:27 AM
Dai Hirokawa

to get an idea of what to do, I think you need to try to make yourself aware of what is going on in the circuit. DC, AC, signal levels, sensitive parts (some parts are more weak and sensitive so more effected by crosstalk/interaction), noisy parts, in-phase, out-of-phase, etc. Keeping a line short, or long, putting in the air, hugging the chassis, using shielded wire, twisting, wires to run together, keep apart, using a big wire, bending to keep organized or maybe add slack for reliability, etc. etc. Also what is happening in the power supply and ground lines, interaction between triode halves, etc.  

there is a bit of info here:  

http://www.maximoaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169&start=30

10/31/2005 11:33 AM
R.G.
Try "Lead Dress in Tube Amps" at GEO -  
http://www.geofex.com

10/31/2005 12:39 PM
MarkB
because of the tube and transformer layout in Hiwatts, there are some long wire runs in there. There are also wires laid on top of heater wires - granted, at a right angle. I don't think the famous "mil-spec" business that gets talked about so much is a lot of help in guitar amps. After all, the military didn't build a lot of high quality audio amplifiers. Safety, durability and ease of repair were a lot more important to the British military than low noise and high fidelity.

10/31/2005 2:16 PM
anonymous
The famous mil-spec business relates more to radio technology applications.  
Radio dudes familiar with that world can teach volumes to guitar amp builders.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>