ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Easy fuzz circuit?

4/10/2005 7:12 PM
Billy R
email
Easy fuzz circuit?
I am looking to build a good fuzz effect using commonly available parts (nothing I have to climb a mountain in Tibet to obtain, if you know what I mean). There are lots of circuits on the web, but I am looking for feedback from some of you that have built and used one, especially if you use it to gig with. Thanks in advance, Billy.

4/19/2005 7:10 AM
Patrick
There are scores of circuits out there, and many of them use parts that are easily obtainable, even at Radio Shack. Big Muff Pie comes to mind, uses 2N5088 or 2N5089 transistors. This URL is just one of many sites with schematics, material bills, layouts etc., for lots of distortion/fuzz circuits.  

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=52  

For super simple, try the Electra overdrive, one 2N3904 and a few components. I built this one and it sounded pretty good considering how simple it was.  

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Library/1355/electra.gif  

Even those using calling for specific parts (such as the JRC4558 op amp for the Tube Screamer) are easily available through Small Bear Electronics, and not expensive. I just bought a bunch of stuff from there and found I could get parts cheaper from him than some of the big suppliers.  

Stuff is out there and you don't have to look very hard. Good luck.

4/20/2005 4:46 PM
Billy R
email

patrick: thanks for taking the time to reply. One of the reasons I asked the questions is because the huge volume of circuits out there, and I wanted a place to start. The electra sounds interesting, and along the lines of what I am looking for.  

Billy R.

Page 1 of 1