ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Single battery for pedalboard?

3/17/2005 8:00 AM
Shea
email
Single battery for pedalboard?
Has anyone tried to power a pedalboard with one battery, like maybe a gel battery? Since they're typically 12-volt batteries, I guess you'd use a 3-volt zener or 2 or 3 silicon diodes in series to drop the voltage down to 9. And you couldn't run positive-ground pedals on the same battery as negative-ground ones.  

The problem with plug-in pedalboard power supplies is that I usually don't have an outlet near the spot where I put my pedals.  

Shea

3/17/2005 8:10 AM
coledavis
email

Six rechargeable D cells work great and last a really long time. 10-30 times longer than a 9V, depending on what capacity you get. You can get high capacity 10,000mAH NiMH ones these days, a typical carbon zinc 9v is only 150-200mAh, an alkaline maybe 500-800mAh!!!

3/22/2005 6:20 AM
regis
"Six rechargeable D cells work great and last a really long time. 10-30 times longer than a 9V, depending on what capacity you get. You can get high capacity 10,000mAH NiMH ones these days, a typical carbon zinc 9v is only 150-200mAh, an alkaline maybe 500-800mAh!!!"  

I used to do this and it works great. I used c cells, but d cells would last even longer. I didn't use nicads, but that's a good idea, you could get them from a surplus place like alltronics.  

I bought the holders at radio shaft and screwed it to my pedal board. The batteries lasted for months, every now and then I would check it with a meter to see how they were holding up.  

no hum, no muss, no fuss!!  

Actually, one thing you would have to do is add an switch to turn your pedal board off (unless you want to unplug all your pedals after you play), and an led "pilot lite" to remind you to shut it off after your gig.

3/24/2005 9:18 AM
drewl
I remember seeing some metal band a while ago, and the guit player had this huge f/x set up with a rolling cab for his stuff with a car battery inside to power the f/x!

3/24/2005 1:39 PM
Ben N
email

I don't know what a gel battery is--is that like a rechargeable power tool battery? Cause I've heard of people using those to good effect, but I don't really know how to set that up.  

As far as voltage, though, you should take a good look at your pedals--some will not only work, but work better at 12v. Some will cease to work permanently, it is true, but you can find out which. Delay based pedals are bad candidates for voltage experimentation, generally. Gain-type pedals, especiallyof the boutique variety, take extra voltage quite well, and reward you with better noise performance and headroom. Dave Barber tells people his stuff runs just fine on 18v.  

Ben

Page 1 of 1